Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote/Companion Dimmer (RD-RD) unable to control the lights

Question Remote/Companion Dimmer (RD-RD) unable to control the lights

Hello,I have a 3-way installation with “old” Leviton on/off switch. I want to replace those two switches by an RRD-6CL dimmer and its companion the RD-RD dimmer. I installed the RRD-6CL on the load side and the RD-RD. I am able to control the lights with the RRD-6CL (the LED on the dimmer turn on) and I cannot control the lights with the companion switch. Nothing happens when I push the button on the RD-RD. I tried swapping the two dimmers but when I do that the lights do not turn on at all.Can someone please help me understand why I would not be able to turn on and off the lights with the companion dimmer?Thank you! I really appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by martingagne View Post
    Hello,I have a 3-way installation with “old” Leviton on/off switch. I want to replace those two switches by an RRD-6CL dimmer and its companion the RD-RD dimmer. I installed the RRD-6CL on the load side and the RD-RD. I am able to control the lights with the RRD-6CL (the LED on the dimmer turn on) and I cannot control the lights with the companion switch. Nothing happens when I push the button on the RD-RD. I tried swapping the two dimmers but when I do that the lights do not turn on at all.Can someone please help me understand why I would not be able to turn on and off the lights with the companion dimmer?Thank you! I really appreciate the help!
    The companion dimmer isn't a switch or a dimmer. It won't work on its own. I has to have the 6CL to work.

The blue screw is used for communication between the companion and 6CL. Make sure you don't have those wires crossed.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hello Randy - Thank you for your reply. Maybe what I wrote was not clear. I do have a 6CL and a RD-RD. I installed both. The 3-way circuit has a 6CL and a RD. I am able to get the 6CL to run as expected (led strip turns on, I am able to dim the light, etc.). However the companion does not work at all. I am unable to turn on/off or dim the light with the companion (RD). I have the red wire connected on the blue screws.

Quote Originally Posted by martingagne View Post
    Hello Randy - Thank you for your reply. Maybe what I wrote was not clear. I do have a 6CL and a RD-RD. I installed both. The 3-way circuit has a 6CL and a RD. I am able to get the 6CL to run as expected (led strip turns on, I am able to dim the light, etc.). However the companion does not work at all. I am unable to turn on/off or dim the light with the companion (RD). I have the red wire connected on the blue screws.
    Or maybe I had a brain cramp. So... if the RD is not communicating with the 6CL the first step is to verify the wiring. Since the dimmer works as is, that is the end that has the switch leg (wire going up to the lights). At the other end, power should come in on the black screw and go out to the dimmer on the brass screw (black wire of the 3-conductor). At the dimmer end, power comes in on the black wire of the 3-conductor and attaches to the black screw. The wire going up to the light attaches to the brass screw.

I would also check to make sure there are no 4-ways hiding somewhere.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com