Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I set time based motion controls with Essentials?

Can I set time based motion controls with Essentials?

Curious if this is possible at all or not with Essentials software. Right now our master bedroom has one of those in wall Lutron non automated motion sensing dimmers, so any time motion is detected it turns on some bathroom lights for 10 minutes or so then goes off. It works fine and we like it but I do find it annoying in the middle of the night having it turn the lights on. Was looking at the RA2 motion sensors and thinking of switching it to a RA2 dimmer but when trying to add a dummy device in Essentials software it seems like I can only control occupancy or vacancy and is all or nothing. Is that correct, in that it's not possible to only have it turn the lights on between 5pm and 11pm type thing, or between 11pm and 7am turn it on to 1% only? I know I could just use HomeSeer or Hubitat or something 3rd party to accomplish that but was hoping I could in the RA2 software instead.

Completely doable. Add the sensor and dimmer. Program sensor for occupied to turn on switch and unoccupied to turn off. Create a timeclock event to change the behavior of the sensor. At 11PM sensor is set to vacancy only. At 7AM it goes back to occupancy. As for the varied levels, that is something you need 3rd party for- 100% from 7A to 9P, 30% from 9P to 11P, 5% from 11p to 7A. I personally use the sensor/timeclock trick. I have the level on set to 10% (low) and have trained everyone to double tap to 100%. Then use the sensor's timeclock events to change the behavior on the on/off, with the double tap useed only when the bright light is needed.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Awesome thanks so much! I checked Timeclock but didn't think to actually try selecting the sensor from there so that's great news. I'll probably do the same thing as our bathroom has 6 or so different lights in it, and the previous home owner just had the dimmer/sensor all in one installed on the one which just turns 2 pot lights over the tub on, but it's not the main bathroom light. So I'll probably just set it to be 10% or so as well as there's not really any case where anyone would need those 2 pots to be 100%. Thanks!

Note- if you set the dimmer's advanced settings to a specific level on, say 60%, it is a great way to give you close to what you are asking for when combined with the double tap. Just set the level on to a usable level in the evening for tasks like brushing teeth or removing makeup. Double tap in the morning for shaving/applying makeup.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols