Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to do remote (offsite) programming changes/uploads

How to do remote (offsite) programming changes/uploads

What's the current best practices to remotely access a system to make programming changes? Can you still use port forwarding and port 51023? I remember reading someone on here say that they no longer can do remote programming because the connect bridge requires to push the button while doing the upload...is this true? I have one job that's going to be far away and am debating whether it's even worth bringing this up to them as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    What's the current best practices to remotely access a system to make programming changes? Can you still use port forwarding and port 51023? I remember reading someone on here say that they no longer can do remote programming because the connect bridge requires to push the button while doing the upload...is this true? I have one job that's going to be far away and am debating whether it's even worth bringing this up to them as an option.
    My preferred method is to have a PC on site running teamviewer. 2nd would be VPN. I wouldn't do the port forwarding.

After initial activation, I have only had to press the button on the bridge a couple of times. I think those were related to major updates in the OS/firmware.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Ah interesting...I never thought about Team-viewer or other remote PC on site. I don't handle the IT stuff so that's out but I guess if a customer absolutely insists on it, we can try the VPN. I've only tried remote control with one person but that's usually when we have some other guys working in the house so if something is not responding I can tell them to go check the switch or flip a breaker or something.

I second @randyc for the PC running TeamViewer. Just finished taking over project in Mexicali from my couch in North San Diego, as I didn't want to cross the border. Same customer has a house in La Jolla with a PC onsite. I've made remote changes plenty of times. Used to do this with my home system and even once updated the firmware- but I would recommend against this in case of problems during the upgrade.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I second @randyc for the PC running TeamViewer. Just finished taking over project in Mexicali from my couch in North San Diego, as I didn't want to cross the border. Same customer has a house in La Jolla with a PC onsite. I've made remote changes plenty of times. Used to do this with my home system and even once updated the firmware- but I would recommend against this in case of problems during the upgrade.
    My fear is that there is a light bulb that's burnt out or a power interruption happened that requires to physically power cycle a device!