Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: updating Bridge2

updating Bridge2

I have searched, but have been unable to locate an answer in the forum. I have a basic system I had to install (literally 1 switch, repeater, second repeater, and bridge) to allow control of a single light source remotely. I was able to run and access the system using my own router, and access with my phone. I then installed the system into the onsite network. As soon as my phone connected the bridge wanted to update - 5 minutes later it timed out. I then reconnected via phone, and same result. I figured okay its the network we're on. I took the bridge to our office and tried it there. same result. So i brought it to my home where I have a basic cable fed network (Hitron shaw modem). I hardwired it in, and my phone can't find the bridge. I tried a spare bridge, same result. I hardwired my computer to same network, unable to locate bridge for update tool. Tried the second bridge, same result. All computer firewalls are off. Fing can find the bridge, but my phone cant connect to it (either one) I'm really beginning to doubt my sanity because this is the second bridge install I've had to do and the first one was problematic too. I have a few more of these coming through the line, and if each one is going to involve 4+ hours programming time just to adda bridge then we're looking at some unhappy customers. I feel I'm missing something simple, any advise? Julian

So left for a bit and tried again when got back home. now it pops up "Firmware is being updated please wait" then after 5 minutes. "error unable to update firmware at this time. Please try again later. If this problem persists please contact your dealer for support." I will try the dealer line again, but it would be nice if I'm just doing something simple, but incorrect, to be able to fix it before standing around at the customers location waiting for a call back.

Tried using the updater tool too, and all I get is "No Connect Bridge detected on the network" and yes all my firewalls are off (which is a great way to have to connect my computer to the internet). Julian

I added a bridge last week to a 2-main system with 180 devices. With 3 iPads it took less than an hour.

If you move the Ethernet devices to another network (or replace the router) you will have to reactivate them. The Connect Bridge may need to be reset (triple tap, hold, triple tap). The switch is on the Clear Connect side so it should be ok.

The time out usually occurs when the Connect Bridge can not see the Internet. That is usually caused by the modem not being in bridge mode. The ISP can set bridge mode remotely. Smart devices, like phones and computers, can find their way to the Internet. Not-so-smart devices, like the Connect Bridge, need a direct path.

The bridge probably does not need an update. It does check for updates and if it can't find Lutron, it gives the error you saw.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you, I'll reach out to the ISP to see if they can bridge the modem, and will update with results. Just curiosity for a residential system with various phones, laptops, google home, Alexa etc. will any of those devices be adversely effected by bridging the modem?

Smart devices like phones, tablets, computers, Alexa, etc. won't be affected. They are smart enough to find their way to the internet in either configuration.

You should check with whoever manages your network(s). Bridge mode is typically used when you have your own router and don't want to use the router in the modem.
    www.convergenceusa.com

randycthank you for your help, and helping me understand the network side of things more clearly. As it turns out, the "data guy" had given me incorrect IP addresses to use. Got correct IP addresses, and was finished in 15 minutes.Does anyone have a link to a primer on IP addresses - what to use and when, as it seems that the only issues I ever run into with ra2 are network settings. I feel like if I understood them a bit better, I'd spend a lot less time banging my head against the wallThanks againJulian

Quote Originally Posted by JCEnergy View Post
    randycthank you for your help, and helping me understand the network side of things more clearly. As it turns out, the "data guy" had given me incorrect IP addresses to use. Got correct IP addresses, and was finished in 15 minutes.Does anyone have a link to a primer on IP addresses - what to use and when, as it seems that the only issues I ever run into with ra2 are network settings. I feel like if I understood them a bit better, I'd spend a lot less time banging my head against the wallThanks againJulian
    Youtube! You may have to weed through some of the videos but you can usually find one that is at the level you need.
    www.convergenceusa.com