Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WC Only Acting as a Passthrough - Lights constantly on

PD-6WC Only Acting as a Passthrough - Lights constantly on

6 months ago I replaced a fan/light with an 120V LED Chandelier and installed an PD-5ANS. Other than the bulbs giving off a slight glow when turned off, the switched worked fine. Before replacing the PD-5ANS with a PD-6WC last night, I installed dimable versions of the same bulbs and the glow disappeared. After installing the PD-6WC it didn't display a light on the swtich but the bulbs remained constantly on.I have the 2 black cables on the switch connected to the 2 black cables in the wall and green to the ground. The white cables and single red cable in the wall are capped off.Does anyone have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?Cheers.

sounds like you have the black wires reversed.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thank you Mike. I had tried switching the blacks but the result was the same. I believe this particular dimmer said it didn't matter which way the blacks are connected. I didn't try using any of the other cables because it would have been a complete guess from me.

There could be a compatibility issue with the bulbs. You can check lutron.com/led to see if Lutron has tested them. You can also check the bulb manufacturers website for a list of compatible dimmers.

Since the LEDs on the dimmer didn't light up it could be a neutral issue or possibly a bad dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    There could be a compatibility issue with the bulbs. You can check lutron.com/led to see if Lutron has tested them. You can also check the bulb manufacturers website for a list of compatible dimmers.

Since the LEDs on the dimmer didn't light up it could be a neutral issue or possibly a bad dimmer.
    Thank you Randy. I unfortunately don't know who the manufacturer is because they are whitelabelled for restoration hardware. If it makes any difference, the same dimmable bulbs work fine with the lutron switch (non-dimable).

The switch has a neutral but the dimmer doesn't. This is likely a ridiculous question but could connecting the dimmer to the neutrals with the non-hot black help? Thanks again.

I've confirmed the dimmer is fine by temporarily installing it in another room. When testing it again with the chandelier i also noticed the while the lights are constantly on, they are not at full brightnesd.

It could be that you need a reverse phase (electronic low voltage) dimmer. It should be printed on the driver or the bulb. If not, Restoration Hardware has to provide that info. Using the wrong type of dimmer can damage the fixture and the dimmer. The local store probably doesn't have that info. They do have an extensive collection of meyer lemon soaps though!

DO NOT connect the neutral wire(s) to the 6WCL.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com