Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Problem with dimmer during light start-up

Problem with dimmer during light start-up

Hello everyone! Apologies if this has been covered. I tried searching for similar problems, but wasn't sure what terms to exactly to search for. Here is my setup and scenario.
    • Dimmer in system - PD-6WCL
    • (12) Of these lights being controlled - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-8PK/308959160
    • The Problem: I have set up the low-end on the dimmer, and everything runs great, except for this issue is on startup.
    • From the physical dimmer: The lights do not come on until you ramp the dimmer up to 20%, from there I am able to lower the brightness down to 1%.
    • Also, with Alexa: I can give vocal request to in example, 'Turn the Living Room Ceiling to 8%." I get an audible signal that it completed the task, but the lights do not fire up. They will, however, turn on if I ask Alexa to turn them on to any number between 20-100%
    • And on Apple HomeKit: I will start to manually scroll up the slider-control on my phone for this dimmer, and they will not kick on until I get up to 20%.

Is this a compatibility issue with the fixtures, and if so, does anyone know of a workaround? Perhaps something that would allow me to set a scene where the lights kick on at 20% just to get them on, and then dim down to the 8 or so % that I want? Thank you all for your time, I truly appreciate it, and please let me know if I need to be more clear, or if more information is needed! Cheers, JD

Lutron Technical Support
    This is most likely a compatibility issue with the lights you are using. Have you tried adjusting the Low End trim as stated on page 65 of the following link? https://www.casetawireless.com/Docum...ced%20Inst.pdf This may help lower the dimmers range on the low end .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    This is most likely a compatibility issue with the lights you are using. Have you tried adjusting the Low End trim as stated on page 65 of the following link? https://www.casetawireless.com/Docum...ced%20Inst.pdf This may help lower the dimmers range on the low end .
    Yes, I had done that. It will dim down to a true 1%, but only after a minimum of 20% initial startup.

I would try a neutral dimmer like the PD-10NXD. The neutral connection will help it perform better at lower levels.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com