Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4-way install help

4-way install help

hi everyone, looking for some assistance on this installation, don't know if I need to get a 5WS switch instead. Want to use 6ANS with 2 Pico's.here is the layoutLocation 1:2 Romex into box1 two wire: black and white1 three wire: black, white and red- black wires are tied together, white wires are on the bottom of the switch (black screw) and red single wire on topLocation 2:2 Romex into boxboth romex's are tree wires: black, white and red- black wires tied together, red wires on the bottom of the switch and white wires on the top of the switchLocation 3:1 Romex into boxthree wire - black, red and white- Black and white connected at the bottom of the switch and red by itself on the top.Hopefully I can try to upload some pictures.

jeez I can't fix the spacing on the post. Looks like a run on sentence.

Location 1 is configured as follows: 2 Romex into box. 1 two wire: black and white. 1 three wire: black, white and red. The black wires are tied together in the box, white wires are on the bottom of the switch (black screw) and red single wire on top. Location 2 is configured as follows:

Location 1 is configured as follows: 2 Romex into box. 1 two wire: black and white. 1 three wire: black, white and red. The black wires are tied together in the box, white wires are on the bottom of the switch (black screw) and red single wire on top. Location 2 is configured as follows: 2 Romex into box. Both romex’s are three wires: black, white and red. The black wires tied together, red wires on the bottom of the switch and white wires on the top of the switch. The final location is configured as follows: 1 Romex into box. Its a three wire - black, red and white. The Black and White wires are connected at the bottom of the switch and red by itself on the top.

The formatting has been wacky for a while. I use HTML codes for carriage returns to hopefully make it somewhat easier to read.

In a normal 3-way/4-way circuit, power comes in at one end and goes up to the light (switch-leg) at the other end. In some cases both the power-in and the switch-leg are in the same box. The electrician will relay either power-in or the switch-leg to the other end using one of the conductors of the 3-wire cable (indicated by the black and red tied together). Because of the wiring you will have to install the 6ANS in box 1. You can use the standard Lutron wiring instructions with a couple of changes.

The white wires attached to the switches are NOT neutrals.

You will need to determine if the electrician relayed the power-in or the switch-leg so you can connect the wires appropriately.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

yeah, doesn't look like I can use the 6ANS, I will have to pony up for the 5WS with no neutrals.

I'll see if I can upload some github pictures, but I am pretty sure I'll have to go the 5WS route and use Pico's at the other locations.

The html break coding definitely works, thanks for the heads up!