Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Vive 2 hour override

Vive 2 hour override

I quote and commission Vive systems for National accounts. I have had multiple customers ask if a Pico can be set up to work as a two hour override. This is needed to meet NYCECC requirements and I believe Title 24 as well.
    A big selling point of vive is that it provides scheduled dimming and continuous dimming daylighting. I find it hard to believe that Lutron left out the 2 hour override requirement.
    As of now I haven’t been able to figure out a way to do this.
    I have read possibly using a pow pack CCO module to trigger a scene that stays on for only 2 hours but have yet to confirm this?

Any Help would be appreciated.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. Thank you for reaching out. The Pico will override the dimmed daylighting level for 2 hours by default, then the lights will go back to their dimmed levels. Unfortunately, there is no way to reduce this time. 2 hours is the maximum override length for this requirement, so this would still meet the NYCECC requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    Hello. Thank you for reaching out. The Pico will override the dimmed daylighting level for 2 hours by default, then the lights will go back to their dimmed levels. Unfortunately, there is no way to reduce this time. 2 hours is the maximum override length for this requirement, so this would still meet the NYCECC requirements.
    Kyle, thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Let me rephrase my question. I need a PICO to override all of the lighting zones in the space after hours, and the lights need to shut off automatically after 2 hours. See Point 5 below directly from the NYCECC website.
    The only way I can think to do this with Vive would be to use a Pico override and wireless Occ sensors programmed to work only after hours. There is no option in the app that I can find to set a PICO or even a CCI triggered scene to timeout at 2 hours

"Time-Switch Controls (Programmed) Time-switch controls must be designed to: 1) Have a minimum 7-day clock, 2) Allow to program 7-different day types/week, 3) Have an automatic holiday ‘shutoff’ feature, 4) Have program backup capabilities in case of power interruption, and 5) Include a manually-controlled override switch that, when initiated, permits the controlled lighting to remain on for a maximum of 2 hours, and that individually controls a maximum area of 5,000 sf."

Lutron Technical Support
    What you are referring to is Afterhours mode, which is a programming option in many of our commercial systems. Vive does not have an afterhours mode, unfortunately, but similar results can be achieved by using occupancy sensors as you suggested. Occupancy sensors and afterhours mode usually do not play nicely together, so afterhours is typically used for systems that are not specified to use sensors. The sensor solution should satisfy the requirement. I have not run into this specific issue before and Vive is constantly being updated to be code-compliant, so there should be no issue with using this method if the customer is okay with having sensors.

5. Thanks Sk8mafia235 thanked for this post
    Thanks Kyle, I spoke with a coleague of mine as well and he has done this in the past by using a PICO to override all lights to 100% and setting a recurring 'All Off' Schedule to repeat every 2 hours after the End of business all off event. Not a true two hour override but would meet code. We would love to see a timer PICO or a timed override function added to the Pico Settings in the app in the furture.