Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hwi dmx...

Hwi dmx...

Hi all,

I have a acquired a HW illumination system comprising of a series 4 processor, several GRX 3000 series, sivoia blinds and curtains and all the trimmings to boot.

I am looking to add LEDs a DMX output to the system to recall scenes in a domestic application and as far as I can tell I have a few options.

1/ source and add LUT-DMX
    2/ add cue server mini (which I have) and execute commands over IP
    3/ add cue server mini (which I have) and execute commands over RS232

My questions are as follows,

As a newbie to Lutron, Which would be the easiest to achieve the end result, 3rd party or LUT-DMX?

None of them is going to be easy. In order of least difficulty:
    1 LUT-DMX
    2 RS232

627 IP

Getting HWI to control a 3rd party system with IP commands is going to be a challenge. The LUT-DMX is somewhat limited. Make sure it will do what you want before investing in one.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for your reply!

I will literally just want to send a simple dmx signal to a handful of fixtures/dmx drivers (led tape) functioning as architectural accents etc in my home.

Does that sound like a mission worth undertaking?

If you are doing the programming, I would say yes. If you are hiring a programmer, I would say no. You could wind up paying for 20+ hours of expensive programming.
    www.convergenceusa.com

time to spend a little coronavirus vacation on an old challenge...

Hi guys,A little update on the above.I have been on the lookout for a Lut-DMX as the easier of two challenging options but I am having no luck finding one of those, and with all this coronavirus free time I now have, I have decided to have a poke around with the cueserver CS810.I am attempting to send CueScript command strings over rs232 from link 3 (9 pin out) to the DB44 pin on the cs810 but having no luck at all.As stated earlier in this thread, i'm quite new to this, DMX is my forte here, Lutron and rs232 less so please excuse any silly questions. As long I can get the two items to talk to each other and I understand the Command String structure sufficiently, I can make the CS810 work wonders.Lifted from Cueserver Manual-"• CueScript Commands All incoming serial data is interpreted as CueScript commands. When a CueScript statement is received in [ square brackets ], it will be executed."and"Receiving Commands via the Serial PortIf the serial port’s Incoming Serial Protocol mode is set to “CueScript Commands”, CueServer will continuously monitor incoming data at the serial port. If it detects a CueScript command, the command is executed. Nearly any external device capable of sending serial data can send CueScript commands to CueServer. To send CueScript statements to CueServer, the command must be transmitted in ASCII text and enclosed in square-brackets ( [ and ] ). CueServer ignores all incoming serial data until it receives an open-bracket ( [ ). Once the openbracket is received, it accumulates the ASCII bytes it receives until it encounters a close-bracket ( ] ). Once the close bracket arrives, then the entire CueScript statement received is executed."Le'ts go with the simple CueScript command of;Channel 1 At 100How do I write this in ASCII text?Baud is at 38400 at both ends - have tried different values with no avail.Bits: 8No paritystop bits: 1no handshakingI am just using 3 wires;TxRxGndAnybody have any advice to point me in the right direction? I would be greatly appreciative of any help you can offer.in case it helps...https://interactive-online.com/downloadsThanks!

Not sure what happened to my paragraphing.Hi guys,A little update on the above.I have been on the lookout for a Lut-DMX as the easier of two challenging options but I am having no luck finding one of those, and with all this coronavirus free time I now have, I have decided to have a poke around with the cueserver CS810.I am attempting to send CueScript command strings over rs232 from link 3 (9 pin out) to the DB44 pin on the cs810 but having no luck at all.As stated earlier in this thread, i'm quite new to this, DMX is my forte here, Lutron and rs232 less so please excuse any silly questions. As long I can get the two items to talk to each other and I understand the Command String structure sufficiently, I can make the CS810 work wonders.Lifted from Cueserver Manual-"• CueScript Commands All incoming serial data is interpreted as CueScript commands. When a CueScript statement is received in [ square brackets ], it will be executed."and"Receiving Commands via the Serial Port If the serial port’s Incoming Serial Protocol mode is set to “CueScript Commands”, CueServer will continuously monitor incoming data at the serial port. If it detects a CueScript command, the command is executed. Nearly any external device capable of sending serial data can send CueScript commands to CueServer. To send CueScript statements to CueServer, the command must be transmitted in ASCII text and enclosed in square-brackets ( [ and ] ). CueServer ignores all incoming serial data until it receives an open-bracket ( [ ). Once the openbracket is received, it accumulates the ASCII bytes it receives until it encounters a close-bracket ( ] ). Once the close bracket arrives, then the entire CueScript statement received is executed."Le'ts go with the simple CueScript command of;Channel 1 At 100How do I write this in ASCII text?Baud is at 38400 at both ends - have tried different values with no avail.Bits: 8No paritystop bits: 1no handshakingI am just using 3 wires;TxRxGndAnybody have any advice to point me in the right direction? I would be greatly appreciative of any help you can offer.in case it helps...https://interactive-online.com/downloadsThanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I give up!!!!

Good news/bad news. The LUT-DMX connects to the MI link. Series 4 processors do not have a MI link.

I would cut the baud rate back to 9600 and use N81 with no handshaking.

I'm sure you have done this but I'll repeat it anyway.
    Go to the programming screen, select any keypad button.
    Click on Interfaces in the top right pane.
    Click on Serial Equipment. Add/Edit buttons should appear above the window.
    Click add. Use the parameters noted above. I wouldn't do any monitoring and would suppress prompts, strings and replies.
    Click on Driver List
    Click Add
    You can now add commands and strings.

CueServer should provide a list of acceptable commands. There is no way to translate "Channel 1 at 100" to ASCII. That could be [C01, 100] or [SETCHANNEL, 1, 100] or any of thousands of variations.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks a lot for your reply again Randyc, Thats exactly where i was at and its great to have confirmation im barking up the right tree. I assume N81 is a reference to Normal 8bit 1bit. I guess its time to work my way through the thousands of possible variations, luckily i have the time on my hands. im digging through the manual but i seem to have conflicting info in my head. One section says i can send cuescript commands in english and i also read that they have to be sent as ASCII which i am struggling to translate to. Oh well... Thanks again! E

Had Tx and Rx wrong way round, Kill me now! Case closed