Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Using 220Vac drivers with 110Vac dimmers

Using 220Vac drivers with 110Vac dimmers

Hi gents,We have a boat project where the mains Power voltage is 110Vac, with a Homeworks QS system and several pannesl with RPM-4A and RPM-4U modules.There are several issues with LEDs spots, so we requested the manufacturer to send us a sample of a constant current LED driver they recommend. Because we are based in Europe, they sent us an Osram rated at 220Vac: this driver allowed the LED to dim much better, especially at low end levels.My question is: can we have issues using 220Vac drivers on Lutron 110Vac dimmers?

My guess is that by only supplying 1/2 voltage you will dramatically reduce the life of the driver. Osram supplies product to North America so they should have a 120v version of that driver.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

These are Mains dimmable driver so they have been designed to accept lower voltage in order to dim the LED on their output.I technically do not understand what could be the problem

If that's the case, supplying the driver with a max of 110 volts means the output of the driver is limited to 50%.

I also suspect that 110v is below the minimum threshold for the driver to work properly. Even if it's not, you are already starting at 1/2 voltage, when you start dimming you will reach the minimum voltage for the driver.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hello, We did the tests of wiring only 1 of this driver to one RPM-4A output and observed that the dimming curve was actually very good: the led could reach a very low level without flickering, it could dim up from that low level to higher level, and at high end (from around 70%), the led was very bright so that we could not notice any difference above.