Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Switch seems to work but doesn't turn on lights

Caseta Switch seems to work but doesn't turn on lights

I recently tried to install a Caseta Switch (non dimmer) in place of a standard switch controlling our Christmas lights.When installed, the switch turns on and I can add it to Homekit, the LED turns green, etc. But the switch does not power on the Christmas lights (they are also controlled by a solar detector but the lights turn on when I put the old switch back in place).I've tested that I get voltage from the Hot/Black wire, and the Load/Red wire has no voltage until the switch is powered on. The blue wire is capped, the green wire is bound to the bare copper wires, and the white wire is bound to the two other beige/neutral wires.What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Lutron Technical Support
    Make sure that the black and red wires of the switch aren't backwards.Power from the circuit breaker should be connected to the black wire of the switch, and the lights should be connected to the red wire of the switch.Is this connected to a permanently installed set of lights, or is it wired to a receptacle that have the Christmas lights plugged into it?If it is wired to a receptacle, try plugging a standard incandescent/halogen lamp into the receptacle instead of the Christmas lights, and see if the lamp reacts properly to the Caseta switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Make sure that the black and red wires of the switch aren't backwards.Power from the circuit breaker should be connected to the black wire of the switch, and the lights should be connected to the red wire of the switch.Is this connected to a permanently installed set of lights, or is it wired to a receptacle that have the Christmas lights plugged into it?If it is wired to a receptacle, try plugging a standard incandescent/halogen lamp into the receptacle instead of the Christmas lights, and see if the lamp reacts properly to the Caseta switch.
    The switch controls an outlet on the roof which has the lights plugged in.After trying several things I bit the bullet and climbed up onto the roof myself. Turns out the installer had placed an additional solar powered timer that was somehow causing the issue. When I plugged the lights into the outlet directly the switch worked as it should. However, after a couple hours the switch seemed too warm. The wall plate and buttons are warm but the metal frame was uncomfortable to the touch. I'm thinking there is too much wattage running through the switch (it is a PDW-5ANS-WH-A) and might pick up a PD-6ANS-WH to see if it will work better, otherwise I might need to go with a wifi outlet.