Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace Control

Fireplace Control

How can I control a fireplace with an engraved button? Need something with Contact Closure.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Staker View Post
    How can I control a fireplace with an engraved button? Need something with Contact Closure.
    You will need to use the Visor Control Receiver(RR-VCRX-WH) in RadioRA 2 to control contact closures.

The outputs of Visor Control Receiver can be triggered from keypads programmed in different rooms. This allows you to hide away the Visor Control Receiver and have it controlled from an engraved keypad. Wire the contact closure on the fireplace to an output on the Visor Control Receiver. Under the programming tab you will set the corresponding button to a toggle. Have the button toggle the contact closure output in which the fireplace is connected to.

Attached is a sample project using a maintained contact closure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cheaper solution is using a RA2 switch that controls a small relay. The relay will then switch the low voltage ignition wires for the fireplace. You can pick up a relay for $8 (CND) at an electrical wholesaler. Program the keypad button to toggle the switch.

Not sure if the Load of the relay is enough to make the Ra2 switch work. Depending on the switch it would need to be between 10-40 watt load.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Not sure if the Load of the relay is enough to make the Ra2 switch work. Depending on the switch it would need to be between 10-40 watt load.
    Load of the relay coil is 0.1A. Min load for the 8ANS is 0.08A. So far they have worked every time we have needed to incorporate fireplaces or any other low voltage switching.

You are right I stand corrected. Never realizid the inductive load minimum was so low on a switch

All good info, but I think the only way to get an engraved solution is a keypad and have it remotely control a switch/relay as suggested or through the VCRX as also mentioned. If the engraving is that important It may be easier to 3rd party engrave the wall plate?? Most of our customer just use the switch/relay....

On a side note, we have issues with some small control relays not being enough load for a 8ANS, but we found and use one now with a bit more consumption on the coil thats fixed that....

is there a way to automagically un-toggle the fireplace button within 60 min of it being pressed?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    You can use two button and implement the timer functionality explained in the following thread. One button to turn on the fireplace, one button with a delay to turn it off.

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ighlight=timer

Quote Originally Posted by net_tech View Post
    is there a way to automagically un-toggle the fireplace button within 60 min of it being pressed?

10. Likes Kevin P. liked this post

Lightbulb FP CND relay?

Quote Originally Posted by T1V1AK View Post
    Cheaper solution is using a RA2 switch that controls a small relay. The relay will then switch the low voltage ignition wires for the fireplace. You can pick up a relay for $8 (CND) at an electrical wholesaler. Program the keypad button to toggle the switch.

I read this thread regarding "controlling a Fireplace with a CND relay" between a RRD-8NS switch and the FP low voltage wires. Can anyone expound on EXACTLY what relay would be needed. Trying to source a CND relay doesn't really explain any details or get me to a specific product. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast