Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In there a guide for Caseta setup and phone app control for low-votage lighting?

In there a guide for Caseta setup and phone app control for low-votage lighting?

I am kind of lost right now. I am setting up 3 zones (with their own transformers) of low-voltage landscape lighting in the fornt and back of my home. I am trying to figure out what I need to set this up via Lutron Caseta to operate/dim each of these zones with my iPhone. In there a guide for Caseta setup and phone app control for low-voltage lighting? What exactly do I need to have hard-wired vs. connected via Wifi? Does the iPhone app use Wifi or Bluetooth? I'm hoping I won't actually need line-of-sight when all is done, similar to how my firepit antenna works with its iPhone app.

That should be "*Is* there a guide. I can't edit the thread title though.

Hi. I've got two transformers controlling two sets of landscape lights in my yard. I used a PD-5ANS switch to control the outlets that the transformers plug into. My Smartbridge is about 75 feet away inside my house. The transformers are outside my house attached to the garage. I had no issues getting the switches to communicate with the Smartbridge. Yes. I believe you are talking to the Smartbridge with wifi.What specifically is going wrong?

Here's how the Caseta system works: The Lutron dimmers communicate with the Lutron SmartBridge, which connects to your WiFi router via Ethernet. The SmartBridge and the dimmer communicate via Lutron's proprietary ClearConnect RF technology. The phone app connects to your system via WiFi, and also works remotely. The range of the devices is about 30 feet, but this is a conservative estimate.

All you need to get up and running is the necessary dimmer (PD-6CL, PD-10NXD or PD-5NE for in-wall dimming, or PD-3PCL for plug-in lamp dimming) and the Lutron SmartBridge (L-BDG2). You can also buy a Pico remote (many model numbers) to control lights wirelessly from another location. They are small (size of a light switch) and battery-powered, with a battery life of 10 years.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the replies. I am not clear on how the suggested setup works with my existing transformer. Does it replace it? Or work in conjunction with it? I have 3 more zones to set up, so if I'm trying to figure out if I should return this transformer to my contractor, or buy 3 more and then add on the Caseta stuff after.

What you need is to connect that transformer to an outlet controlled by a Caseta switch. Lutron doesn’t make a transformer to replace a landscape lighting transformer.

I see, that is very helpful. Thanks! So now when I go to set up the next 3 or so transformers, do I need a separate Caseta switch for each one?

Also can these be hard-wired? Or do I need to plug into the 'Caseta Smart Home Plug-in Lamp Dimmer Switch'? That would work, but hard-wired would be cleaner setup.

Most landscape transformers use a 3-prong plug. The 3PCL is a 2-prong (no ground) device. Make sure your transformer has 2-prongs if you decide to use the 3PCL.

Most landscape transformers plug-in. You could cut the cord and wire it directly to a dimmer. You could make it a 2-gang with the dimmer controlling an adjacent receptacle. By code, you are not allowed to dim a receptacle unless you jump through a lot of hoops. There is also the risk of damage if someone plugs something else in. In either case, I would use a neutral based dimmer like the PD-10NXD.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Because of the issues Randy brought up and the fact most integrated LED landscape lights don’t dim well (at all) I would recommend using a switch like PD-6ANS instead of a dimmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast