Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Conditional programming in scene or sequence?

Conditional programming in scene or sequence?

I’m trying to see if it’s possible to do conditional programming within a scene or sequence. It seems like you can only do this via a button press, time lock event, or sensor event.

What I’m trying to do is coordinate geofencing (through Lutron connect app) for two different people, so that a scene is run only when they are both arriving around the same time. The Lutron connect app allows you to set a scene to run when arriving, so I set up two scenes (user 1 and user 2) that sets corresponding ‘arriving’ variables for the user. In a sequence that sets the variable to ‘arriving’ and then automatically cycles to ‘home’ a few minutes later. What I wanted to do was then conditionally check and run the arriving scene only if the variables for both users are in the ‘arriving’ state.

Setting the variables for state is easy enough, but it doesn’t seem possible to run any conditional logic as part of the scene or sequence. I can only directly set light levels, variables, other scenes or sequences, etc, but none of that can be conditionally triggered.

Is there something I’m missing? Any ideas on how to achieve what I’m looking for?

Conditional logic can be done on a button press, but I don’t see a way to have a scene virtually press a button. As a last resort, I could have the scene send a command to a 3rd party device and just use integration protocol to do what I need, which would definitely work, but more complex to set up. Could also do something silly like set a time clock event to run every 30 seconds, and have the conditional logic check for the ‘arriving’ on both variables there.

There must be something I’m missing? Could something using a manual sequence with tracking based on the variables (to jump certain steps) somehow work for this ? Or is it possible to send an integration command the same processor to virtually trigger a button press (which has the conditional logic)?

Hmm... documentation on the Lutron connect app says:

Arriving/Leaving Home scenes must be single action presses. Advanced programming single action buttons cannot be used (e.g., single variable and conditional).

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...-App-Guide.pdf (Page 42)

So that doesn’t seem promising. I guess it does let you do virtual button presses, but explicitly disallows ones with any programming (why?)

Looks like apple HomeKit has support for multi-person geofencing and conditionals, so I may try that next:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/applein...-triggers/amp/

Apple homekit isn't able to call homeworks scenes, or virtual buttons with any more advanced programming , so that's out :(

Lutron HWQS support got back to me and basically said this isn't currently possible ("not able to do conditional logic within a scene or sequence"). I did discover that you -can- have the 'Arriving Home' (via GPS) from the Lutron Connect app use a button that calls a scene or sequence. The trick is that the button has to be set to 'single' mode rather than 'toggle' or 'conditional/variable'. So I at least got somewhere with that. The plan now is to have 'Arriving Home' use a button that calls my arriving sequence, which will set the arriving variables, and then probably run a 3rd party/ethernet/telnet command, and then I'll handle the rest of the conditional logic outside of lutron using integration protocol to check on the variables. Or maybe see if I can just use integration protocol to then virtually hit a button that has the conditional programming assigned to it. A little more roundabout than I was hoping for, but should be able to get it to work this way.