Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Retrofit 4" LED lights for P-BDG-PKG1W?

Retrofit 4" LED lights for P-BDG-PKG1W?

Hi all - anyone have any experience with using any 4" retrofit LED lights? House we bought had recessed cans already installed and would love to replace with dimmable LEDs that I can control via app, but the only officially supported retrofits are 5/6" Halo lights. Thanks!

Generally, I have good results with Cree and EcoSmart (HomeDepot store brand). I would stick with the big manufacturers - GE, Phillips, Osram/Sylvania.

4" cans don't have a lot of room so try one first and see if it fits.

If your cans are low voltage (i.e. MR16), and they were not specifically designed/manufactured for LEDs, don't do it. Your only options are to replace the transformers in the cans with LED drivers or conver them to line voltage (GU10).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Generally, I have good results with Cree and EcoSmart (HomeDepot store brand). I would stick with the big manufacturers - GE, Phillips, Osram/Sylvania. 4" cans don't have a lot of room so try one first and see if it fits. If your cans are low voltage (i.e. MR16), and they were not specifically designed/manufactured for LEDs, don't do it. Your only options are to replace the transformers in the cans with LED drivers or conver them to line voltage (GU10).
    Thanks! I have no idea, actually, and will try to figure that out before proceeding. (this is why I seek advice from people much smarter than me on things I know little about...)

MR16s are the small halogen bulbs with a reflector and 2 pins on the back that stab into a lamp holder. I can't imagine someone putting Halogen in a fixture designed for LED but stuff happens. There is currently no good upgrade for MR16s.

Some 4" cans use a R20 screw-in bulb. You can find LED versions of these as well as complete trims with sealed LEDs inside. I tend to favor the bulbs because they are less expensive and easy to change.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks! Checked and these use R20 screw-in bulbs, so will look for compatible LED bulbs or retrofit and see if any are compatible with the Caseta, as I'd love to have wireless capability for dimming, etc.

And a quick search brought up these with a review stating that at least one person is using with Caseta, so will give these a try at first. Thanks again!https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...-827/206760748