Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disable/Lock Light Switch?

Disable/Lock Light Switch?

Hello,Is there a way I can disable or lock a switch on or off? I have a kid that loves to get up and turn the light on when he shouldn't. So use case would be I turn out the light in the room (whether physically at switch or with app/homekit), and then the physical switch doesn't work. Was thinking there might be a long press on the switch to lock or something, but I'm not seeing that. Thanks

This does not exist. you could pull the FASS switch, but he'll probably figure that out. You could do repeated timeclock events to turn off the light, but that might be counterproductive in the long run for studying purposes.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Maybe in one of the 3rd party systems like SmartThings or IFTTT? You should be able to create a rule that says if the light turns on between 10pm and 6am, turn it off. There may be a time when you want to turn the light on and it is not going to work though.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I am interested in this feature, too. My son is on the autism spectrum and frequently wakes up in the middle of the night and turns on the overhead lights in his room. I would like to be able to lock/disable the switch in his room on a schedule during certain hours. It's disappointing that the physical switch can't be disabled via the app. It seems like an inexpensive, easy feature to add. There are plenty of situations where we may not want small children, people with cognitive disabilities (like autism or Alzheimers) manually adjusting lights.

Best option here would be to add a motion sensor to the room and set to vacancy. Make sure the sensitivity is set to medium or low. When the child gets back in bed, the lights will then turn off. I would suggest a shorter time out. Caseta now has a motion sensor announced at CES2020
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

lock a light switch

I know this is a bit late but I just joined this forum and was looking for answers to some questions that I had. I ran across this thread and thought I would offer a different perspective. Having worked as a Facilities Coordinator for a large church that had lots of kids, we ended up putting clear locking cases over the thermostats to keep the kids and others from making unauthorized changes to it. You could do the same thing over the light switch and then just use your phone or automations to turn the lights on or off. If you need to use the switch, you will need to unlock the cover to access it. That may be more trouble than it's worth but it is an option.