Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Smart Bridge had a problem updating. Please unplug it and then plug it back in.

They absolutely have to fix this problem as firmware upgrades are necessary. Whoever designed the update system is a complete moron

2. Likes kevink707 liked this post
    Support for HomeKit is printed *on the box* - not a sticker, actually on the box itself. Which means they knew when they packaged these things that they needed the new firmware, yet they shipped them with old firmware and expect you to upgrade when you install it. The hell? There's no excuse.

It gets better.

The tech support person I spoke with told me how to get into "Demo Mode" in the iOS app. This allows direct to IP connection to the bridge. Any bridge on the same subnet. And the demo mode password for all the bridges is the same, and doesn't appear to be changeable. So if you have this bridge, anyone who can get onto your wifi network can, with a bit of readily available info, connect to and control the devices on your bridge.

And despite telling me there was no interface to the IP settings on the devices, this quasi-secret demo mode not only shows the settings, but allows them to be manually set. So tech support either withheld that info from me or is ignorant.

The good news is that in demo mode the app connects to the bridge directly and I can switch apps and come back to the Lutron app, or even close the Lutron app and re-open it without having to sign in again, which makes using the app as an in-house remote control far less clunky and more reliable (with the notable exception that anyone else in my house with the app can turn my lights on/off). Really, the app needs to be redesigned with "local" and "remote" options. People who don't need or want to control their lights remotely would be far better served using a "local" mode.

This is seriously crappy stuff to say the least, and support is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by binky View Post
    Did more digging on the allocations for those IPs. Here is the info:

50.73.144.123:123 UDP WATERFROPROPANDCLUB, Jupiter, Florida
    8.14.172.115:7443 TCP Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    4.2.2.2:52 UDP (manually configured DNS server)
    107.170.224.8:123 UDP Digital Ocean, Inc. ("Cloud" host)
    208.67.220.220 ICMP OpenDNS (seems to be checking with this DNS server regardless of its IP settings)
    38.229.71.1:123 UDP Cogent/PSINet, Inc.
    4.53.160.75:123 UDP Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    23.88.235.114:123 UDP Enzu Inc ("Cloud host")

The first one is troublesome, as it's a small 8 IP allocation to "Waterfront Properties and Club Communities"
    http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-50-73-144-120-1/pft
    http://www.waterfront-properties.com/

I'd really like to hear from Lutron why this device is making connections to what looks like a business entirely unrelated to Lutron.

Binky,

Can you share this or tell me who you spoke to, When I just called them they said all Casetta support had left for the weekend (apparently this guy Zachary is the only person)
    Quote Originally Posted by binky View Post
    It gets better.

The tech support person I spoke with told me how to get into "Demo Mode" in the iOS app. This allows direct to IP connection to the bridge. Any bridge on the same subnet. And the demo mode password for all the bridges is the same, and doesn't appear to be changeable. So if you have this bridge, anyone who can get onto your wifi network can, with a bit of readily available info, connect to and control the devices on your bridge.

And despite telling me there was no interface to the IP settings on the devices, this quasi-secret demo mode not only shows the settings, but allows them to be manually set. So tech support either withheld that info from me or is ignorant.

The good news is that in demo mode the app connects to the bridge directly and I can switch apps and come back to the Lutron app, or even close the Lutron app and re-open it without having to sign in again, which makes using the app as an in-house remote control far less clunky and more reliable (with the notable exception that anyone else in my house with the app can turn my lights on/off). Really, the app needs to be redesigned with "local" and "remote" options. People who don't need or want to control their lights remotely would be far better served using a "local" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyAblo2000 View Post
    Binky,

Can you share this or tell me who you spoke to, When I just called them they said all Casetta support had left for the weekend (apparently this guy Zachary is the only person)
    I don't remember his name and he didn't open a ticket. He told me how to send diagnostics info using the app, which I did. This apparently opened a ticket with Lutron, because I got an email with a case number.

For now I've blocked the bridge from all Internet access. After I did that it tried to connect to four new IPs:

Three are DNS servers that I have NOT programmed into it (it has only our internal DNS server showing in its config), so it seems to have an internal list of them. The 108 address is "Leaseweb USA, Inc."

The irony of all of this is that because their crappy firmware update mechanism is so broken, I found all this out and actually have the app in a mode where its functionality matches what I wanted in the first place. No password, fast access, local remote control.

Also, all but one of the outbound connection attempts I'm seeing, more than one/minute whether they are blocked or not, are on UDP 123, which is supposed to be NTP. I'm not going to go through the hassle of capturing packets to see what's in them, but I have a hard time thinking of a reason that a device like this needs to sync its time every 60 seconds. The connections to 8.14.172.115 are port 7443. Presumably this is the Lutron system through which the firmware updates and remote commands are sent to the bridge.

Based on the quality of the software on the bridge, the quality of their update mechanism, and their infrastructure design, there's no way I'd let this thing have free roaming access to the Internet.

9. Likes SkyAblo2000 liked this post
    Quote Quote
    Anyway, found a workaround. Network fu required.

1. Start the wizard without connecting the ethernet cable.
    2. After a try to 'add a smart bridge' (obviously failed) - or a few?, you will be presented with an option to use 'advanced options'. Tap that. And tap 'use IP address' or similar.
    3. Now you need to find your hub's IP address.
    3a. Connect the Eth wire to the bridge, wait a bit
    3b. Make note of the MAC address written on the back of the smart hub, e.g. MAC address 20:CD:xx:yy:zz:ww
    3c. Go to a computer on the same network. Type 'arp -a' and find the entry corresponding to the MAC above.[...]
    ? (192.168.1.96) at 20:cd:xx:yy:zz:ww on en1 ifscope [ethernet] -> this is the bridge's IP address
    3d. make sure you can ping this IP address: ping 192.168.1.96
    4. Enter the IP address in the dialog box on your lutron app, and voila! - past the dreaded update.
    That process worked, however no SIRI support (I presume because I need a firmware upgrade).
    Last edited by kevink707; 08-09-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Added quote

My system has been working perfectly for months. I had been loving it mostly. Tonight I thought I'd turn on Siri integration and play some more with the settings, and that is when I ran into problems. It said I needed to update which I clicked and it said my lights might flash and come on etc which they did and then I got the same unable to update please unplug and plug back in... And same dreaded loop and now all my zones are no longer working. The Pico controllers that were also paired to a couple lamp controllers now no longer do anything either. Called "24/7" Lutron support and I was "caller 1" waited on hold for about half hour and then used their callback option to be called in the order I was in queue and that was a couple hours ago now and still no call back. From reading this thread it sounds like support wouldn't be helpful anyways.

So is this a failure in their firmware update? Should it be fixed by them, or is my SmartBridge Pro now effed because I tried to turn on Siri support? Very frustrating!

Your smart bridge isn't dead, but you will need to get re-add all your devices, and you won't be able to use SIRI integration until the jokers at Caséta get the firmware upgrade working.

Take a look at the work-around by ifonul on page 1, that should get your smart bridge back to where it was before.

They really need to fix the BS as its a complete joke. I've opened a ticket with them by using the "help" on the app and requesting support - I included a link to this forum thread so hopefully someone will read it.

I also added an Amazon review and iTunes review with these details and one star.

They need to fix this and give instructions on their website in what to do, then I'll amend the reviews.

I think the more public reviews on Amazon/iTunes etc. will get them moving on a real solution. I never would have bought this had I seen the problems, but now all my dimmers have been replaced I'm kind of stuck with it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast