Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Smart Bridge had a problem updating. Please unplug it and then plug it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyAblo2000 View Post
    Your smart bridge isn't dead, but you will need to get re-add all your devices, and you won't be able to use SIRI integration until the jokers at Caséta get the firmware upgrade working.

Take a look at the work-around by ifonul on page 1, that should get your smart bridge back to where it was before.

They really need to fix the BS as its a complete joke. I've opened a ticket with them by using the "help" on the app and requesting support - I included a link to this forum thread so hopefully someone will read it.

I also added an Amazon review and iTunes review with these details and one star.

They need to fix this and give instructions on their website in what to do, then I'll amend the reviews.

I think the more public reviews on Amazon/iTunes etc. will get them moving on a real solution. I never would have bought this had I seen the problems, but now all my dimmers have been replaced I'm kind of stuck with it
    I can't get to re-adding my devices. It has me log into the app each time and when I get to the step to plug in the bridge it says discovering bridge then eventually pops up saying there was a problem updating and starts the loop over again. I can't get it back to how it was before. I'll try the workaround! Thanks! I'll let you know!

I also added an Amazon review and iTunes review with these details and one star.

They need to fix this and give instructions on their website in what to do, then I'll amend the reviews.

I think the more public reviews on Amazon/iTunes etc. will get them moving on a real solution. I never would have bought this had I seen the problems, but now all my dimmers have been replaced I'm kind of stuck with it
    I have also given it a one-star Amazon review and have returned the product. Why are you stuck with it, though? There are other (admittedly not HomeKit compatible) hubs that support Caseta products, as well as third-party bulbs like Hue. Siri support that doesn't work out of the box anyway is hardly worth keeping this dud of a product.

The problem is I bought a kit and so installed the dimmers. While I could take it all down and return the complete kit, it's a pain in the backside.

I got an email from support just now to say they have sent this to the engineers, I hope they come up with a solution - even if its that I directly connect the bridge to the internet and force the update (which is one thing I haven't tried yet). But the firmware update the produce had better allow upgrades in the future without the need to:
    a) do crazy networking to get the firmware
    b) not require re-adding every device
    c) - a nice to have - an admin site on the system. It's clear they're running some bare bones OS as they have a telnet server, so why not a small web server with simple controls?

Hey guys! I clicked on the support link in the app and reported it to Lutron so that they have another record of the issue. I got an auto reply with a case number and within 10 minutes had an email from Zach at Lutron. His workaround included downloading FING to get the SmartBridge IP and it worked great. Within about 5 mins I was back up and running and re-setting up my wall switches, plug in dinners and Pico controls. A pain for sure, but not too bad in the end.

Here's Zach's reply:

"A number of firmware update issues have been reported and we are currently looking into the cause. We are working to have this resolved ASAP, but here is a workaround that should allow you to bypass the firmware update and connect to your system in the meantime.

If you have an existing Caseta system, please follow these steps:

1.) Please download FING, a free network scanner
    2.) Use FING to find the IP address of the Smart Bridge (Texas Instruments)
    3.) Force close the app if open
    4.) Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Smart Bridge
    5.) Restart the app and select "Sign In"
    6.) This should get you past step 4 (the firmware update) and cause the bridge to not be discovered on Step 5
    7.) Failing on Step 5 with no Ethernet connection should prompt a window to open that gives you the "advanced" option
    8.) Enter the IP address of the bridge and reconnect the Ethernet cable before continuing
    9.) Wait 30 seconds and then continue
    10.) A successful connection should be made without ever needing to firmware update

If this is a brand new system, please follow these instructions:

1.) Connect the Smart Bridge to the home's network
    2.) Download FING, a free network scanner
    3.) Find the IP address of the Smart Bridge (Texas Instruments) using FING
    4.) Write down the IP address
    5.) Force close the Lutron Caseta app if open
    6.) Set up a new system in the app
    7.) On step 3 the app will ask you to make sure the bridge is connected to the network...DISCONNECT the Ethernet cable from the bridge and hit next
    8.) This should get you past the firmware update but fail when trying to connect to the bridge
    9.) A popup should appear that gives you the "Advanced" option
    10.) Enter the IP address of the Smart Bridge and re-connect the Ethernet cable
    11.) Step 5 will ask you to press the black button on the back of the bridge
    12.) Press the button after being physically re-connected to the network
    13.) The app should go through the rest of the set-up (date/time, etc)

This is obviously not a long term resolution and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. The issue has now been reported to the appropriate group and as mentioned before we are working to get this resolved ASAP. We will contact you as soon as we have an update and feel free to contact us with any questions."

5. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    So today the system upgraded the firmware itself and integration with SIRI worked. However, after the upgrade the system needed to be unplugged and plugged back in again - but the app just told me it couldn't connect.

I updated my Amazon review to three stars really only for the customer support.

On the bad side, I still am concerned about:
    1. Why the smart bridge needs so many ports
    2. The onboard software (smart bridge) and app are pretty poor still
    3. Why there is no admin system in the smart bridge
    4. Why the firmware update system broke and nobody seemed to know about it
    5. Why the 24x7 support isn't as advertised

I hope everybody else's smart bridges are now working as advertised.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The issues seen this weekend were due to a server experiencing problems and we are currently making changes to ensure this does not happen in the future. The reason we require devices to connect to the firmware update server is to ensure that security vulnerabilities are fixed before customers begin using the Smart Bridge. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Quote Originally Posted by binky View Post
    Did more digging on the allocations for those IPs. Here is the info:

50.73.144.123:123 UDP WATERFROPROPANDCLUB, Jupiter, Florida
    8.14.172.115:7443 TCP Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    4.2.2.2:52 UDP (manually configured DNS server)
    107.170.224.8:123 UDP Digital Ocean, Inc. ("Cloud" host)
    208.67.220.220 ICMP OpenDNS (seems to be checking with this DNS server regardless of its IP settings)
    38.229.71.1:123 UDP Cogent/PSINet, Inc.
    4.53.160.75:123 UDP Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    23.88.235.114:123 UDP Enzu Inc ("Cloud host")

The first one is troublesome, as it's a small 8 IP allocation to "Waterfront Properties and Club Communities"
    http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-50-73-144-120-1/pft
    http://www.waterfront-properties.com/

I'd really like to hear from Lutron why this device is making connections to what looks like a business entirely unrelated to Lutron.
    The Smart Bridge connects on port 123 to an NTP Pool to get time, and does so in the same way as millions of other devices around the world. There are thousands of NTP Servers in the NTP Pool, and the servers are not related to Lutron as you noted. What you saw is expected and safe behavior.

Spoke to some guy Zachary at support who sent me this email:
    "Often cable modem/router combination products that are sold by ATT U-verse, Verizon, Comcast, COX, and some other internet providers are locked down more than a standard cable modem would be. I would contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ensure the following ports are open: 7443, 4443, 443, 8883, 1883, 123, and 22."

I have Comcast business and none of those ports are blocked for outbound connections. But why on earth would anybody open these up inbound.

Anyway, to humor them I have tried setting up static routes to the Smart Bridge - didn't work - I then tried putting it in the DMZ - didn't work.

I tried connecting to the box in the hope there was a admin screen... nope...

This totally sucks and is an absolutely useless producrt
    No inbound ports are required to be forwarded or unblocked because the bridge makes connections like a normal device or computer does.

Quote Originally Posted by kevink707 View Post
    That process worked, however no SIRI support (I presume because I need a firmware upgrade).
    That’s correct, the Siri capability will need to be downloaded via a firmware update and is compatible with the L-BDG2 and L-BDGPRO2.

Hi Kevin,

I'm an android user, so the workaround suggested by Zach (see above) made the Smart Bridge fully functional for me. (I do not need Siri support.) However, for security reasons is it still necessary/recommended for me to update the firmware? And if so, is this done automatically, or would I have to force an update by power cycling the Smart Bridge?

Also, this is not a troubleshooting related question, but are there plans to integrate with Google Now in the future? Or was the agreement with Apple exclusive?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Matt

Worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Hey guys! I clicked on the support link in the app and reported it to Lutron so that they have another record of the issue. I got an auto reply with a case number and within 10 minutes had an email from Zach at Lutron. His workaround included downloading FING to get the SmartBridge IP and it worked great. Within about 5 mins I was back up and running and re-setting up my wall switches, plug in dinners and Pico controls. A pain for sure, but not too bad in the end.

Here's Zach's reply:

"A number of firmware update issues have been reported and we are currently looking into the cause. We are working to have this resolved ASAP, but here is a workaround that should allow you to bypass the firmware update and connect to your system in the meantime.

If you have an existing Caseta system, please follow these steps:

1.) Please download FING, a free network scanner
    2.) Use FING to find the IP address of the Smart Bridge (Texas Instruments)
    3.) Force close the app if open
    4.) Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Smart Bridge
    5.) Restart the app and select "Sign In"
    6.) This should get you past step 4 (the firmware update) and cause the bridge to not be discovered on Step 5
    7.) Failing on Step 5 with no Ethernet connection should prompt a window to open that gives you the "advanced" option
    8.) Enter the IP address of the bridge and reconnect the Ethernet cable before continuing
    9.) Wait 30 seconds and then continue
    10.) A successful connection should be made without ever needing to firmware update

If this is a brand new system, please follow these instructions:

1.) Connect the Smart Bridge to the home's network
    2.) Download FING, a free network scanner
    3.) Find the IP address of the Smart Bridge (Texas Instruments) using FING
    4.) Write down the IP address
    5.) Force close the Lutron Caseta app if open
    6.) Set up a new system in the app
    7.) On step 3 the app will ask you to make sure the bridge is connected to the network...DISCONNECT the Ethernet cable from the bridge and hit next
    8.) This should get you past the firmware update but fail when trying to connect to the bridge
    9.) A popup should appear that gives you the "Advanced" option
    10.) Enter the IP address of the Smart Bridge and re-connect the Ethernet cable
    11.) Step 5 will ask you to press the black button on the back of the bridge
    12.) Press the button after being physically re-connected to the network
    13.) The app should go through the rest of the set-up (date/time, etc)

This is obviously not a long term resolution and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. The issue has now been reported to the appropriate group and as mentioned before we are working to get this resolved ASAP. We will contact you as soon as we have an update and feel free to contact us with any questions."
    This is great info and the second option totally worked. Thanks! We've been pulling our hair out trying to get it to work. Of course, we were super excited when we got the system... installed a wall switch and unpacked everything. And the last thing we wanted to do was have to pack it all back up and send in for a return. It was also a birthday gift and that wouldn't have looked good.

Anyway, so far so good. Hopefully these guys can fix it quick so no one else has the same frustrating issue.
    Cheers!

10. Likes SkyAblo2000 liked this post
    I unblocked our bridge from Internet access and was able to get the firmware update. Due to the ongoing odd Internet connections and some security concerns, I then re-blocked it. With the firmware update, I can control the lights (even dim them) with Siri. It works very well. And with the app in demo mode, that works the way I want as well- no time-consuming, annoying login required, no Internet-related security concerns, etc.

If Lutron fixes the security issues, which I think are not trivial, this system looks very good.

12. Likes SkyAblo2000 liked this post
    I was also able to update the FW and enable Siri integration; I have to say Lutron support was awesome. Everything works fine over here...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast