Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Light won't turn off...how to reset?

Light won't turn off...how to reset?

We have a keypad in our kitchen as well as one in the adjoining pantry, the keypads control a set of remote dimmers located in a nearby control closet. This has all been working wonderfully for almost 2 years but this past weekend it got into this weird state where the undercounter lights remain permanently on and no amount of switching off on the keypad OR the associated dimmer does anything to change that. This is for the pantry area so the keypad here just has 3 buttons:Pantry - turns everything on/offCounter - under-counter lighting - the one that won't turn offCeiling - ceiling lightsIs there an easy way to do a hard reset on the dimmer? Should I reboot the repeater? thanks in advance guys

Do you know what dimmer is running the undercabinet lights? And what kind of lights are they? This sounds like the dimmer has failed for this switch leg.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Yes I looked it up, the dimmers are all RRD-6NAIs there a way to test that the dimmer itself has failed?

There is a small, pull-out tab (FASS) at the bottom of the on/off button. Pulling it out will cut all power off to the switch. Wait a few seconds then push it back in.

If the radio has failed, the dimmer should still work as a stand alone. What are the LEDs on the dimmer doing? If the bottom 3 are on, the dimmer is in safe mode. You may be able to reset it using the FASS. If resetting doesn't clear the 3 LEDs, the dimmer is dead. If the 3 LEDs come back, the dimmer may be having problems determining which mode to use. You can force the dimmer to forward or reverse phase mode using the programming software.

I would also check to see if the 6NA is responding to the keypads. When you push a button on the keypad do the LEDs on the dimmer change?

Some other random things to check: If the lights plug in, make sure they didn't get moved to a non-controlled receptacle. If the lights have a hi/lo switch, make sure it is on high.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    There is a small, pull-out tab (FASS) at the bottom of the on/off button. Pulling it out will cut all power off to the switch. Wait a few seconds then push it back in. If the radio has failed, the dimmer should still work as a stand alone. What are the LEDs on the dimmer doing? If the bottom 3 are on, the dimmer is in safe mode. You may be able to reset it using the FASS. If resetting doesn't clear the 3 LEDs, the dimmer is dead. If the 3 LEDs come back, the dimmer may be having problems determining which mode to use. You can force the dimmer to forward or reverse phase mode using the programming software.I would also check to see if the 6NA is responding to the keypads. When you push a button on the keypad do the LEDs on the dimmer change? Some other random things to check: If the lights plug in, make sure they didn't get moved to a non-controlled receptacle. If the lights have a hi/lo switch, make sure it is on high.
    Thanks for the detailed reply Randy...here's what I found1)pulled out the FASS, lights went off2)I can now turn the lights off and on with the remote dimmer and it works fine3)Now if I turn the lights on with the 'counter' button on the keypad, they come on but pressing it again does nothing and they then remain in a permanent 'on' position and won't respond to either keypad or remote dimmer4)I unplugged the repeater and then plugged it back in just to see if would reset it, but no change.How should I proceed next, seems like the dimmer works fine but is not responding remotely?

The 6NA will "auto-detect" the type of load (forward or reverse phase). It gets it right a majority of the time. It's not unheard of for it to work for a while then develop an issue trying to figure out which mode to use. You can take it out of "auto" mode and force it to use forward or reverse with the programming software. This feature is not available in the app.
    www.convergenceusa.com

OK sorry for not reporting back, I just haven't had a spare moment to troubleshoot this. But here's an interesting twist. I had pulled out the FASS on this dimmer to disable it until I could look at it, so it's been disabled for over a week. I push it back in yesterday to do some investigation and magically everything works. The keypad 'counter' button turns it off and on correctly and the 'room' button turns all lights (ceiling + counter) off and on correctly, it's fixed! No, sadly it's back to it's old tricks again. So at this point it's gotta be a bad dimmer no? I can't imagine what else it could be

Since it worked, at least for a while, when you pulled the gap switch, it is either a compatibility or minimum load issue. Some under-cabinet lights have a high/low/off switch. Make sure they are all set to high. The next step would be to try manually setting the phase control (programming software required).
    www.convergenceusa.com

OK Randy, i'll give that a whirl, I have RA2 v12 installed, do you happen to recall where to locate that phase setting? It's been awhile since I tinkered with the software, thanks

Design tab--> right click dimmer in question--> Advanced settings should give you access. If it is a 6NA, then phase control will appear, set appropriately for the fixture.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols