Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LED Light won't turn OFF, it flashes

LED Light won't turn OFF, it flashes

First, I loathe incandescent bulbs...they are barbaric technology. I have a feeling thought that an incandescent will solve my problem. So I am a new RA2 Select owner and I have a sconce light at my front door with a single LED bulb (my 2nd bulb, the first LED would not turn on) and the bulb blinks when I turn the dimmer control OFF. I confess I am frustrated with Lutron and disappointed. So, it would seem to me that zero voltage, "off", would be no voltage going to the bulb at all, so then no light. Maybe it's my caveman brain, but OFF should mean OFF. What am I doing wrong here? Should I just put an incandescent in there?

Quote Originally Posted by thundercow View Post
    First, I loathe incandescent bulbs...they are barbaric technology. I have a feeling thought that an incandescent will solve my problem. So I am a new RA2 Select owner and I have a sconce light at my front door with a single LED bulb (my 2nd bulb, the first LED would not turn on) and the bulb blinks when I turn the dimmer control OFF. I confess I am frustrated with Lutron and disappointed. So, it would seem to me that zero voltage, "off", would be no voltage going to the bulb at all, so then no light. Maybe it's my caveman brain, but OFF should mean OFF. What am I doing wrong here? Should I just put an incandescent in there?
    More than likely this is due to not meeting a minimum wattage for the dimmer. Because these are digital devices they always need power for the electronics so some of that voltage leaks and can make LED bulbs stay on. Not sure exactly which model you have in the wall however generally speaking a device using a neutral works better with LED's. If you are using a neutral dimmer this may be one of the ones with a higher min wattage. This is the cut sheet for the dimmers outlining the min load requirements. http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369225_ENG.pdf Although this is not recommended by Lutron using a resistor in the circuit can help with min load. You are correct that using an incandescent bulb should solve the problem. I would recommend a neutral dimmer with a lower min wattage requirement if you want to use LED. I have had good luck with the 6ND. I do not yet have experience with the new PRO dimmer, though the specs look quite promising.

Ahh....that does make sense. Thank you for your answer.

More than likely this is due to not meeting a minimum wattage for the dimmer. Because these are digital devices they always need power for the electronics so some of that voltage leaks and can make LED bulbs stay on. Not sure exactly which model you have in the wall however generally speaking a device using a neutral works better with LED's. If you are using a neutral dimmer this may be one of the ones with a higher min wattage. This is the cut sheet for the dimmers outlining the min load requirements.http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369225_ENG.pdf Although this is not recommended by Lutron using a resistor in the circuit can help with min load. You are correct that using an incandescent bulb should solve the problem. I would recommend a neutral dimmer with a lower min wattage requirement if you want to use LED. I have had good luck with the 6ND. I do not yet have experience with the new PRO dimmer, though the specs look quite promising.