Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Will Lutron MSCL-OP153M-WH Dimmer and Occupancy work for both of these applications?

Question Will Lutron MSCL-OP153M-WH Dimmer and Occupancy work for both of these applications?

This is a new home built in 2017.Application 1 is Dining area: It's an verhead fixture with one switch I want to replace with a dimmer and occupancy sensor combo because the switch is on the far side of the wall in a double gang unit with standard switches today.Application 2 is Kitchen adjoined to Dining area in Application 1: Can another dimmer and occupancy sensor combo share the double gang unit (with dimmer and occ in app 1) and turn on the kitchen for me as well? If so, there are two other standard switches that also control the kitchen lights (overhead can lights). Would this be wired in a 3 way fashion? One of these switches is in a 4 gang configuration near the garage door. I would like to have lights come on if possible when I come in at night from garage. If I put another dimmer and occupancy sensor switch by the garage door in the 4 gang box is it still just 3 way wiring? I have a third switch that hides under a counter that I plan to leave alone and hopefully never use but is part of the wiring scheme. No changes to that one?Are there any occupancy sensor/dimmers that you can program a time schedule into? I don't always need them on during the day but definately after sunset.

You can use the OP153M will work for the dining room. The sensor will turn the lights off after the timeout so it will need a good view when people are sitting at the table. You may need to set the sensitivity to "fine" so it won't turn off during meals. This may also create some false ons.

The OP153M occupies 1 "gang" so it can go in a box beside any other device, including another OP153M. The question is, will it have an adequate view of the kitchen?

Funny story... if the light is switched from 2 locations it is called a 3-way circuit. If it is controlled from 3 or more locations it is called a 4-way circuit. You can use the OP153M with a single mechanical 3-way switch for on/off control from the 2nd location. If you have 3 locations you have to use the Maestro MA-R companion dimmer.

You can only have 1 sensor per group of lights. You can not have a sensor for the kitchen lights in the dining room and at the garage entry. The sensors have very good range so if it is located where it can see, it should work across the room. You could bypass the switch under the counter. You could just leave it but at some point it is going to get flipped and

Lutron doesn't offer a sensor with a time clock. Lutron's Caseta system is fairly inexpensive and would offer time clock scheduling. However, there are no sensors compatible with Caseta. You could go with RA2 Select which can be used with Radio Power Savr sensors. RPS sensors are remote so they offer more flexibility.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com