Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lights turn on slow with PD-6WCL

Lights turn on slow with PD-6WCL

Installed PD-6WCL dimmers for two rooms with four LED lights (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-RL-...EWHR/304533541). However, occasionally it takes up to one minute for the lights to turn on for both rooms. Interestingly, subsequent turn on/offs work fine. I had no issues with the "dumb" dimmers I installed before. According to Lutron, the LED trims are listed as "compatible". Not sure what's going on, and it's very disappointing. Does anyone know why?

I checked the Lutron "LED Bulb Compatibility Tool" for the bulb and could not find it. I checked under PD-6WCL and could not find it.

It appears that the RL56 is a Bluetooth controlled device. Every time you turn it on, it is trying to connect to a Bluetooth system. Once that fails, it is good to go. After some off period, it resets and has to go through the Bluetooth connect procedure the next time it is turned on.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hi randyc, thanks for the comment. I actually added a wrong link. This is the correct link for the trim: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-RL-...EWHR/304533541 - no bluetooth for this one. For compatibility, I actually checked from the list provided by Halo/Eaton - https://images.homedepot-static.com/...3c950b3006.pdf PD-6WCL is is listed as a compatible dimmer.

Manufacturers often list Lutron as compatible, but rarely take the time to send their material to Lutron to test. If it's not on Lutron's site, call them and ask. Sometimes info is unpublished- insufficient data, manufacturer didn't like the results, material too inconsistent, etc. Remember- a dimming fixture only has to go to 99% from 100%. That is technically dimming. That being said, most of the Eaton/Halo material usually dims quite well, despite being from a big box. Might try sourcing a PD-10NXD-WH from an electrical wholesaler. Probably find a lot better performance using a neutral wire dimmer.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols