Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 600w dimmers LEDs blinking - not responding

600w dimmers LEDs blinking - not responding

I have a system with multiple 600w dimmers and a 6BRL. One of the dimmers is not responding properly to button presses. The dimmer just shows all LEDs flashing. The dimmer has to be in range as there is another dimmer right beside the malfunctioning one. there are also further dimmers responding properly.

It sometimes randomly comes on, and when I press an "away" scene on the 6BRL, it responds but fails to come back.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at? Is this faulty power?

Thanks for your help

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The issue described seems like an incompatible load type.

The RadioRA 2 dimmers are rated to control Incandescent, Halogen, Magnetic Low-Voltage, and Electronic Low-Voltage load types. If the dimmer is trying to control LED or Compact Fluorescent load types it can cause the dimmers to not respond properly.

RadioRA 2 can control LEDs and Compact Fluorescent loads. When choosing to dim a LED or Compact Fluorescent on RadioRA 2 please refer to our LED selection tool or residential approved bulb list.
    Last edited by Kevin P.; 10-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.

I just wanted to clarify my previous post. The RadioRA 2 system is compatible with LED and CFL bulbs as well as Incandescent, Halogen, Magnetic Low-Voltage and Electronic Low-Voltage loads. For a list of approved LED’s for the RadioRA 2 system please use our selection tool at www.Lutron.com/LEDtool or residential approved bulb list.

Quote Originally Posted by jelston View Post
    I have a system with multiple 600w dimmers and a 6BRL. One of the dimmers is not responding properly to button presses. The dimmer just shows all LEDs flashing. The dimmer has to be in range as there is another dimmer right beside the malfunctioning one. there are also further dimmers responding properly.

It sometimes randomly comes on, and when I press an "away" scene on the 6BRL, it responds but fails to come back.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at? Is this faulty power?

Thanks for your help

That switch leg could be drawing too much, as in your higher than 600w in total lighting load. We had a similar situation happen with a 6NA.

The dimmer was responding the same way. It would turn on, the bottom LED's would flash and the dimmer stopped responding. After some math, 600w is the same as drawing 5A. After putting a meter on the lighting load, we had 5.3A.

Its almost like the dimmers know when they are doing too much and stop responding...but you'd think it would turn off. Anyway, we swapped out the dimmer for a 10ND and there were no issues after that.

Hope that helps.

More typical for not enough load in our experience. Also had this happen with cheap ballasts on a 8ANS switch. Switched to a name brand ballast and problem went away. Could assume the Same for a cheap LED driver. More likely though you are below or too close to minimum load.

I am having the same problem with Kitchen counter lights and Cove lighting using a 8ANS. The problem disappears if I touch line and load together bypassing the switch. Any suggestions?

Imshea, What is the type of light you are controlling with the 8ANS switch and what is the total wattage?