Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HWQS and Link Terminators

HWQS and Link Terminators

Where do LT-1a terminators belong on HWQS processor links?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Where do LT-1a terminators belong on HWQS processor links?
    digit1,

The LT-1a terminators are used on either a HWQS Power Panel link, H48/Q96 link, and on QSE-CI-DMX controllers.

On a Power Panel or H48/Q96 link you will use at the last MI/H48/Q96 if the wire run is over 50 feet. You will connect the link terminator to pins 3 and 4.

The link terminators are also used at the beginning and end of the DMX link on the QSE-CI-DMX controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    digit1,

The LT-1a terminators are used on either a HWQS Power Panel link, H48/Q96 link, and on QSE-CI-DMX controllers.

On a Power Panel or H48/Q96 link you will use at the last MI/H48/Q96 if the wire run is over 50 feet. You will connect the link terminator to pins 3 and 4.

The link terminators are also used at the beginning and end of the DMX link on the QSE-CI-DMX controllers.
    Thank you Kevin-

I am confused by different instructions for the HWQS Power Panel Link-
    Some people at support say both ends (processor and last MI). That's what I was told when I called in to tech support yesterday.
    The manual for the P6-2 also says both ends of a MI link get terminators if over 50 feet.
    I've been told a link terminator will always help, even on a link that is less than 50 feet of cable from processor to last MI.

Many times I've been told that ONLY the last MI gets a terminator, and only if over 50 feet. That's what's led to my confusion, and it makes me wonder if that is the only fuzzy area.

It seems that generally the MI link is very reliable no matter what I do- I've only had one job where we thought the MI link wasn't working properly and then removed the terminators.
    I've installed terminators at both ends, at just the last MI, and not at all. It's usually based on the last instructions I saw or heard.

I'm looking for best practices, but I'm also curious to know what other installers have made their habit.

I've never used H48 or Q96 on P6 jobs- it's either QS, RF, or MI links so far.

I just wrapped up 2 QS jobs, both with power panels; one job the power panel was about 2 feet away from the processor and the other it is about 30 feet away. Having terminators on the link(s) caused some issues, when I removed them all is working well...just another data point for you, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    I just wrapped up 2 QS jobs, both with power panels; one job the power panel was about 2 feet away from the processor and the other it is about 30 feet away. Having terminators on the link(s) caused some issues, when I removed them all is working well...just another data point for you, YMMV
    Thanks for the feedback- did you install terminators at BOTH ends of the link, or only at the power panel's HWI-MI-120?

all of the above...I had terminators on both ends and then one each on either end; I finally took them all off and all worked fine.

7. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    all of the above...I had terminators on both ends and then one each on either end; I finally took them all off and all worked fine.
    jkvossen,

If the wire run is less than 50 feet then adding the link terminators can cause communication issues. If having issues with less than 50 feet then we recommend removing them.

9. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    FWIW, my habit is to put 1 at the end of the MI Link chain ONLY; even on shorter runs, as I've seen that solve a few oddities and never introduce any that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
    FWIW, my habit is to put 1 at the end of the MI Link chain ONLY; even on shorter runs, as I've seen that solve a few oddities and never introduce any that I'm aware of.
    I've seen problems with that scenario; removing the terminator on both ends solved the problems I was having...YMMV

I've seen problems with that scenario; removing the terminator on both ends solved the problems I was having...YMMV

...and I've seen the exact opposite! Classic.

13. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post