Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Data Privacy Compliance (removal of default login for integration) question

Data Privacy Compliance (removal of default login for integration) question

Starting with version 12.2, default login for integration is removed. Does this mean that if a system that was integrated with Control 4 and they were using lutron:lutron as the username and password, the integration becomes broken if the Radio Ra2 main repeater is updated to 12.2 and then lock out the system after 15 tries?I ask because I had a situation like that with QS where I updated the system and then nothing worked again (see an older thread there). We had to find the AV guy from the other system and then find a new user name and password for him and it was not easy picking one that the software would accept. Is there any possible way that I could keep lutron/lutron with 12.2 or will the software reject it? It would REALLY help out because I have to deal with something where I have no idea who the integrator was and just want to get the lighting system to work without making 3 other trips to meet with the C4 dealer. If I could just keep everything the same, it would be helpful. If not, is there any danger with going with an older version 12.0? My gut feeling is that eventually the system will be updated or it won't work right with new devices or the connect bridge so it's better to use the latest version but if it breaks the integration, it just opens up a can of worms for me since I was not involved with the original install.

Correction: I meant username: lutron and password: integrationDo those still work for Control4, Crestron, or other 3rd party systems telneting into Radio Ra2? The more I read up on it, the more it seems that the privacy changes are only for the app and NOT integration. Can someone please confirm this? The integration protocol http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/040249.pdf page 28, still lists the default passwords, but on QS it says that it needs to be set in the software. Can someone please confirm whether lutron:integration still works on radio ra2 version 12.2?? Thanks.

I'm not speaking authoritatively here...
    When you do the 12.2.1 update, the installer asks you if you want to continue and delete the two insecure default login credentials. I believe you have a choice to say No to this removal.

I said Yes, and don't know what happens when you say No. If you do remove the default insecure credentials, the system will lock you out after 10 bad attempts within 10 minutes, whereby after you have to power cycle the main repeater.

So if you need the old accounts, either don't do the update, or take your chances and say No when asked. There may be no going back.

Below is from Lutron tech support:

In the newest version of Ra2 we removed the default credentials and required a Telnet username and password to be created for all integration partners. Based on the the information you have provided it sounds like we are encountering Telnet lockout as something is trying to login to your Ra2 system. When 10 bad attempts to login occur within 10 minutes, the Main Repeater locks out new connections to the system for 15 minutes.

This would not be fixed by doing another firmware update. You could power cycle the processor to clear the lockout event or wait the 15 minutes for it to clear. We would recommend you remove all 3rd party integration first and ensure the Lutron system is operational. Once up and running add the 3rd party integration back.

To fix this issue, please go into Configure Integration options and create a new Telnet login for this third-party system to use. The third-party system will need to be updated to use these new credentials. Please note that you will not be able to add in the old default credentials as the passwords to those logins were weak in strength. We now require stronger passwords for integration logins. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the information MisterC. If they give the choice, it would make my life A LOT easier to not delete the two insecure logins. There is no practical security concern here. This job is 40 miles away and I have no idea who the AV installer is and it'd take me 2 hours for each trip. The less things I can break, it would be better!

Ok, so as a test, I used version 12.2.1 to convert files that were made with 12.0 and one that was made with 10.xIn both cases, it prompts me that the Home app will no longer work if I update. If the files also had an activated connect bridge, it also prompts me that "connect bridge has been deactivated. Please reactivate it for the system to function properly." which I have no idea what it's all about. There is no mention of the old login. It does however spell out the old default login of lutron:integration as well as one that says admin:blackshag which I had never known of before. This is actually very smart because it gets rid of the hidden login so it's visible and someone who wants the extra security can keep it and someone who doesn't, won't and it won't break any links. I wish a Lutron employee would confirm this however because I've called tech support twice now and have gotten 2 answers. One person over the weekend said "no, it's not like with QS, it won't require you to manually enter it" which is consistent with the integration protocol on the MyLutron site (it still shows default logins), and the person I spoke with today says that "No, you have to pick new ones or it will lock you out".

You will want to be onsite when you do this update, since you need to reactivate the bridge in the Essentials or Inclusive software. You have to go press the physical button on the Bridge.

I've been able to delete and then add back the lutron/integration login.

The reactivation seems kind of odd...any reason why it'll make us do that? And thank you for letting me know you can add it. I tried it and it seems to let me add it too but haven't tried it on a live system yet. I wish it was the same for QS.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    SparkyCoogin 12.2 you will loose the default integration. If you would like to continue to use the default logins you will be able to add it back in the software and use that login going forward. As for the reactivation this occurs due to the changes in 12.2 for the Data Privacy Compliance and enhanced security of the Main Repeater and Connect Bridge. When doing the upgrade to 12.2 you will need to reactivate it once and then you will be good going forward.