Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to extract programming from system with 2 main repeaters?

How to extract programming from system with 2 main repeaters?

I have only extracted programming from a main repeater once and that was a complete nightmare and no matter how hard I tried, the ra2 software couldn't find the main repeater on the homeowner's network nor on my own router. So what ended up happening was I had to call tech support and they guided me through a direct ethernet connection which consisted of changing all my laptop's settings and setting it up for static IP and eventually the programming was extracted. The rest of the day wasn't fun either, mostly because it would not show up on the homeowner's network, but I digress.Now I will likely have to go to a system that has 2 main repeaters and will need to extract that programming. How do I set that up? Make a dummy file with 2 main repeaters and set them to DHCP and then pray to god that I can extract it?What if that doesn't work? There is no way to directly connect to two main repeaters. Do both of them have the whole database file?

First you need to find out why the Mains are not showing up on the network. Sometimes owners update their network and don't realize the addressing scheme went from 1.x to 0.x. Apple uses a completely different numbering scheme.

If the previous programmer left the Mains as DHCP, then yes, creating a temp file with 2 Mains with DHCP will work.

I would use a network scanner, like FING, to try and determine the IP address of the repeaters. Then create the temp file using the IP addresses. If they had HC+ access you can find the IP address in the app

You also need Internet access. The extraction program checks the revision of the software on the Main and gets info from Lutron to extract it (if it is different from the version you are using to extract).

As an alternative you could use the version that is running on the processor. If you type the IP address of the processor in a browser it will return an info page. When you upgrade RA2 software on your computer, previous versions are still accessible. You may have to search for them.

Only version 6.0 and later can be extracted.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    First you need to find out why the Mains are not showing up on the network. Sometimes owners update their network and don't realize the addressing scheme went from 1.x to 0.x. Apple uses a completely different numbering scheme.If the previous programmer left the Mains as DHCP, then yes, creating a temp file with 2 Mains with DHCP will work. I would use a network scanner, like FING, to try and determine the IP address of the repeaters. Then create the temp file using the IP addresses. If they had HC+ access you can find the IP address in the appYou also need Internet access. The extraction program checks the revision of the software on the Main and gets info from Lutron to extract it (if it is different from the version you are using to extract).As an alternative you could use the version that is running on the processor. If you type the IP address of the processor in a browser it will return an info page. When you upgrade RA2 software on your computer, previous versions are still accessible. You may have to search for them. Only version 6.0 and later can be extracted.
    Well in the past, I've had random trouble with the main repeater showing up even when everything was in DHCP, my firewall was turned off, and I connected the system to my own router! This was't for extracting either...Lutron always blamed multicast and such. But anyway, I did not know about having to be connected to the internet though. I thought the latest version could always extract the programming and then convert it but this is vital information. For this job, it seems that the homeowner has the files so I may not have to extract it which would be a big help.