Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What dimmer/switch will work for 450 Watt LED loads?

What dimmer/switch will work for 450 Watt LED loads?

I have a system that I am designing that has a few rooms with LED lights with heavier loads. Each room is about 450 Watts. What dimmer or switch will work for them.Thank you

I am not aware of one. What I do is hide two dimmers in a nearby closet and use a Pico or if budget allows a keypad at the entry. Then I just program the two dimmers to act as one.

Run a neutral wire dimmer (RRD-10ND-WH or RRD-F6AN-DV-WH) and control a Lutron power booster- PHPM-PA-120-WH. It is not recommended running the power booster on the RRD-6NA-WH. This should get you the required output from a single dimmer. See here for the spec sheet: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/369835.pdf . Or you could take Bill13's advice, hide multiple dimmers in the closet (2x new RRD-PRO or 3x another neutral dimmer) and use a keypad to control the three dimmers as one.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Sorry for the delay in replying. For some reason I didnt get notification. The problem with using two dimmers is that the wires are already run in one circuit.I will look into the phase booster to see if I can put that in the system.If I cant use that, would an option be to put lets say to splice into the line in the ceiling and put in 2 or more LMJ-5T-DV-B's and control that with a kaypad?Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Run a neutral wire dimmer (RRD-10ND-WH or RRD-F6AN-DV-WH) and control a Lutron power booster- PHPM-PA-120-WH. It is not recommended running the power booster on the RRD-6NA-WH. This should get you the required output from a single dimmer. See here for the spec sheet: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/369835.pdf . Or you could take Bill13's advice, hide multiple dimmers in the closet (2x new RRD-PRO or 3x another neutral dimmer) and use a keypad to control the three dimmers as one.
    I was looking at the technical data but don't see what the maximum LED wattage on the power booster is. Is there somewhere that it mentions it can handle that much? I may run into a situation where I need something that can handle very large LED loads as well.

@SparkyCoog- I had trouble as well, but considering the 600w RRD-6ND is good for 150w, the 1920W PHPM-PA should be good for three times that at least. You also have the added benefit that the radios and control interfaces aren't present on the PHPM-PA, adding to the available limits. I've had customers run chandeliers with no-name bulbs around 450w off the PHPMs with no issue. Still may have LED compatibility issues, but the PHPM is a beast.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols