Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New RRD-PRO Dimmer

New RRD-PRO Dimmer

Does anyone know the differences between the new RRD-Pro LED+ dimmer (RA2 Select RF Maestro Phase Selectable Dimmer) vs the RRD-6NA (Phase-adaptive dimmer with neutral wire)?

I’m no expert but the idea of the PRO dimmers (for Maestro non-system, R2S, RR2 and HW) is that the neutral is optional if you are doing forward phase. So, if you’re walking into a retrofit job and you don’t want to find out if there are neutrals in every box, you can spec the PRO and be on your way. It also helps to be able to install one dimmer for everything, helps for stocking replacement parts etc. Don’t know anything more specific as of yet.

The 6NA is phase-adaptive, meaning it will try to determine the best type of control - forward phase or reverse phase. I find it guesses wrong a lot so I usually force it into the phase I want.

The PRO is phase-selectable, meaning you have to program it for either forward or reverse phase. It also has a higher wattage rating for LED (250w vs 150w). It supports additional load types - Hi-lume 2-wire and dimmable fluorescent. It also allows you to mix LED, CFL, and incandescent (like C.L dimmers).

FWIW, if the device has a neutral connection, use it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Programing

Quote Originally Posted by cbfs1 View Post
    Does anyone know the differences between the new RRD-Pro LED+ dimmer (RA2 Select RF Maestro Phase Selectable Dimmer) vs the RRD-6NA (Phase-adaptive dimmer with neutral wire)?
    FYI there is a new 12.2 version of the software out that includes support for this new dimmer.. So in the design phase I guess there will the an additional selection for this new dimmer. I have not downloaded it yet;).

New dimmer is in there. Again, why slow our production? I still have lots of jobs in the works with 6NA. 12.01 was able to pull down and set 6NA as a default. 12.2 not anymore. Have to go through extra clicks to get to 6NA. Sounds a bit winy I know. Not like I have to pull coal out of a pit for a job or boil water before I drink it. Just wonder if Lutron is listing or just on their own path.

awesome.

The new RRD-6ND is intended for the RA2Select line, but should come and play with those of us using RadioRA2. List is $139.00, which is a nice price point to hit. My go to was the 10ND at $199. Still only forward phase, neutral required, but most likely covers a lot of the places I was spec'ing the 10ND. Should save a bit of money for all involved.

Has anyone got one of these to play nice with the 12.4 software? I find that I can't select the phase, nor set the low end trim below 35%.

Pro with Neutral

If pro is reverse phase with neutral then we have to change each one at install to forward for most of our lights?
    I'm am telling installers to use 6ND/10ND for most installs and Pro for reverse. But if they decide to use the Pro "one dimmer for all" and keep things easy what are the chance of killing dimmers and or fixtures before I can get them programmed? Same applies for the Stand alone Maestro version.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
    If pro is reverse phase with neutral then we have to change each one at install to forward for most of our lights? I'm am telling installers to use 6ND/10ND for most installs and Pro for reverse. But if they decide to use the Pro "one dimmer for all" and keep things easy what are the chance of killing dimmers and or fixtures before I can get them programmed? Same applies for the Stand alone Maestro version.
    Good question! This is from the installation instructions:

LED phase auto-select defaults to reverse-phase unless the LED load cannot operate correctly. It will then switch to forward-phase automatically. LED phase auto-select is only available when no neutral wire is connected.

This makes it sound like I have to put the dimmer in w/o the neutral connected to prevent possible damage. Then when I come back to program I pull the dimmer out and connect the neutral.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Wait? What? Read the instructions? Didn't now there was any. Just open box dump out and grab dimmer. Might learn something new.
    But that does sound a little crazy to install twice. We've been learning much over the LED years and biggest one is to use Neutral for better control. Now we may have to change back.
    Very interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast