Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Two Processor in One System but one processor failure

Two Processor in One System but one processor failure

I would like to ask a question as captioned, we have a project with two processors for two floors and operated by one source code, all components in each floor are connected to own processor on the floor, what will happen if one processor fail or power lost? Would it be whole system down?

I believe you would just loose control of devices connected to links on the processor that is down. Generally failures are usually related to network connectivity issues. Best practice is to connect both processors together with ethernet then to network. Set processors static and if network is down you will still be up and running

3. Likes Kevin P. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncon View Post
    I would like to ask a question as captioned, we have a project with two processors for two floors and operated by one source code, all components in each floor are connected to own processor on the floor, what will happen if one processor fail or power lost? Would it be whole system down?
    I learned one interesting thing- the systems will work independently the best they can, but one of them will have problems keeping time. We had a setup like you are describing with two buildings, each with independent but networked QS systems. The fiber network went down. The client called us to come figure out why half the landscape lights were coming on at the wrong time. Tech support told me that the time of day is broadcast to processors 2-thru-whatever by processor #1. Since half our system didn't 'hear the broadcast' it didn't know that sunset occurred and it was time to turn on the landscape lights.

And this is when I repeat my request for Lutron to email our company when our registered QS or RA2 processors fall offline.

Understood however what I was describing both processors would still be able to talk if the network was down and would receive time updates since the processor are directly connected and set static so no router or switch is needed In your case I'm assuming if you had your media converter on a ups and hung the 2nd processor directly off processor 1 you would have kept time. If the processors were static. I'm assuming the fiber connection most likely was from switch to switch. I handle this by taking a pair of fiber dedicated to processors and use a medi converters on both ends dedicated to Lutron system. As long as those media converters stay powered you would have no issues with Lutron communication. And then you just make a network connection to either processor just not both or you will loop network.