Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MAW-600: Push-style terminals.

MAW-600: Push-style terminals.

This might be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the push-style wire terminal on the top-back of the MAW-600? I went to replace one of these and found that it was installed with an extra wire running to this terminal (in addition to the load, line, ground, and neutral terminals) but I can't find any manuals online for the MAW-600 explaining why this extra wire was there?Thanks.

It is a combination terminal. You can wrap the wire around the screw or push it in the back. The two are connected internally. In your case, instead of twisting the wires together and adding a pig-tail, the make the junction on the dimmer. It is a fairly common practice.

Some claim that the stab-ins are bad. I've been using them for a very long time and have never had an issue related to the stab-in. You have to make sure the wire is not stripped too short (can't make good connection) or too long (exposed metal).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the response Randy, by why would they hook up both? I've got two completely separate wires coming into the electrical box, so am wondering why they went to the trouble? (I just capped it and the switch is operating fine.)I ask because around the same time the switch/overhead light in the next room over stopped working, and I can't figure out why. (It's not a three-way switch with the one I worked on.) I pulled it out and used a voltmeter on the terminals and can't find any evidence that there is any electricity there at all, yet everything was fine before I worked on the switch in the next room over...?