Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: lights glowing, even with ELV switches?

lights glowing, even with ELV switches?

hi,Just had my electrician convert my whole house to the Casetta smart switches, except there were a few lights that we not compatible. The lights were LED-based, and according to the manufacture, they require ELV based dimmers. So, upon installing the Lutron ELV switch, PD-5NE-WH-C, to our surprise they worked but they didn't turn off and were glowing (and this is true with even the Lutron on/off switch and the Lutron standard dimmer). At this point i just switched it back to the standard manual switch with disappointment. What is interesting, in some cases, I have these lights in question on the same line as a regular high-voltage dimmable bulb, and the the on/off swich works as it should (i.e. off is really off), however, when the lights below are the only lights with the switch, i get the glow. So, is it the light? is it the switch? is it wiring? Here are the specs of the light fixtures in questionhttps://kuzcolighting.com/product/fm1515-malta/https://kuzcolighting.com/product/601002-led-lighthouse/https://kuzcolighting.com/product/401214-led-mina/

The links you provided say they require an ELV dimmer. They are sometimes referred to as trailing edge or reverse phase. The dimmer you have is leading edge/forward phase. Using a forward phase dimmer with ELV loads will cause damage to the dimmer and the lights.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Sorry, I misread your post. You have the correct dimmer.

The installation instructions may be vague but the 5NE must have the neutral connected. Also, make sure the neutrals are separated between circuits.

There still may be a compatibility issue. If Lutron hasn't tested your fixture (lutron.com/led) the fixture manufacturer should have a list of recommended dimmers.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

thanks for the reply. To be honest, I don't know about the wiring, however, based on what I experienced, i.e. the light worked with the ELV 5NE switch and it was dimming the light quite well, the only issue was that it didn't turn completely off and just glowed; could we assume that the wiring was done correctly with the neutral connected? If this is the case, it may just be a compatibility issue because I didn't see my fixture manufacturer on the fixture list.

so i just contacted the manudacter, and they said that these are the compatible dimmers that work with the light fixtures:NOVA NLV-600-WHMaestro MAELV-600-WHDIVA DVELV-303P-WHRadio RA2 PRD-6ND-WHSkylark SELVB-300-PR-WH-CCan any of these switches work with my existing Casetta wireless ecosystem?

- - - Updated - - -

PS. why doesn't the word wrapping work for any of my posts?