Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Next Generation of QS Processor

Next Generation of QS Processor

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...novations.pdfI got the following link about the next generation of the QS processor but it doesn't explain what it does over the existing processor other than it's faster and supports something called Ketra Lighting - whatever that is.Will the existing one will be discontinued, if so, when?Is pricing comparable to the old one?Does it have RF built in so you don't need an repeater taking up a QS link?Does it have the connect bridge built in so we don't need a clunky device on the network somewhere else? Why does it only have 2 QS links? It would really save time and money if it had 3 QS links, especially for converting an HWI processor that has keypads, RPM, and wireless.Is there going to be any training road shows coming up to explain? LCI Online just has new training.

Sparky your link has an extra character at the end- should be this: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...nnovations.pdf They are going all in with Ketra since their purchase which is basically tunable wireless led bulbs/recessed fixtures. We have them in our showroom and While its pretty cool I dont see it as a huge game changer yet for resi jobs. Buying bulbs that are hundreds of dollars each just to change different levels of white and occasionally some colors just doesnt seem like something our clients are looking for. The cost do do a whole house with these bulbs is monumentally larger than people are used to with normal LED lighting. Plus the fact that they are wireless- we have seen them be non responsive at times in our showroom. If I'm selling a bulb that expensive it better work every single time. But back to the QS- If this is "Next Generation" , do we have the ability so save scenes on wall keypad buttons yet??? The old old generation of illumination allowed you to but in QS? Nah! Oh and i'm sure this new QS still will want you to turn off firewalls, connect directly to the processor, no VPN, pray to the gods, etc. All I see here is the inclusion of Ketra into the software natively, and a new din rail dimmng module. Nothing game changing here.

HQ LED+ Dimmer

Do you know the part number and price for the new Homeworks LED+ dimmer ? Thank you

Ketra is a really cool fixture manufactured by a Lutron subsidiary (Ketra). It is controlled directly by the HQS processor - no dimmer/switch/module in between. It has a tuneable output meaning it can generate a gazillion shades of white. The goal is to mimic the natural light outside. Right now that is based on standards for a geographic location. If it is a gray day outside you will still get typical light. Combined with shading it's a pretty powerful system. I'm concerned about the price though.

Johnmax is right about Ketra. It is a very cool feature but the price makes it a hard sell. You will need a network that supports vlans so HQS/Ketra won't be interrupted by heavy traffic. Ketra fixtures need constant power so you will need to do something about those switches in the wall.

The HQSX processor only has 2 links (grumble, grumble). Surprisingly, they went back to the 4-pin Phoenix connectors.

The brochure lists 16.0 software which appears to be for the QSX processor and Ketra. It sounds like this will not work with existing HQS processors. The brochure lists 15.0 software which appears to be for existing HQS processors. Unless 16.0 supports P6 processors, that pretty much spells the end of them. Are we going to pay a premium for the Ketra feature which most will never use?

The "enhanced app" says it works with HQSX, Caseta, and RA2 Select. No mention of RA2 or HQS. Interesting because RA2 and HQS both use the same Connect Bridge. They have added Ketra features but that just clutters up the app for Caseta users. I'm not sure if they are trying to merge the apps but Caseta and R2S use the app for setup. RA2, HQS, and (presumably) HQSX don't. Seems like too many systems for a single app.

The PRO dimmers are great but at $189 (MSRP) I don't see them replacing the 6ND ($149) or the 6NA ($159). They are also phase select, meaning you have to choose forward or reverse. I find I typically do that with the 6NA anyway.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I thought 6NA is $199 ?

I meant to say "6CL ($159).

The 6NA is $209. There was a "temporary" price increase due to global warming. Err...maybe it was due to tariffs?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Price

Hi. Is there a chance that the price will be lower in the future?