Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new caseta system

new caseta system

Bought a home and it has conventional wiring throughout. Seems the Caseta system will work for what I want to do. Want to do as many lights as possible but I see there 60' range limit and one hub? Home is about 5k feet but on 3 levels so not really that spread out. I am going to change all switches to a decora style so if some at the far extents cannot be smart switches so be it. I read you can use a lamp dimmer for an extender? Seems they would allow a couple normal extenders you just plug in the wall somewhere? Is remote access achieved with the Lutron app or how does that work exactly? I will be using Homekit as well with my apple gear and nest locks and ecobee thermostats so maybe use that? I will not be living there all the time so remote access is key. I might have some larger loads too so I read staying with the pro style switches is a good move too? Mostly all can lights that I will change to LED's , the satgo brand has done well as far as dimming at my current home. Trying to get a handle on what all I need and how to design it. Appreciate this forum and the help! Thank You

Where are you located? I would highly recommend enlisting a local Lutron PRO to assist in design and install. They can be found easily on the Lutron main website top right corner or here: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/Wh...Selection.aspx
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

What is the range limit on the RA2 Select system? Can you have more repeaters? I do not think the distance will be an issue in the Caseta and the limit is not 75. Just wondering why I would consider the RA2 Select or RA2 system and not Caseta. Geat is twice the cost but you do not get much more advantage.

With Caseta, you can have one repeater. It is actually the plug-in lamp dimmer switch. You configure it in the app. The limit is 75 devices, it was increased from 50 about a month ago. RA2 Select has a device limit of 100, and can have multiple repeaters. But, as you mentioned, the cost is more than double. I would stay with Caseta. You can actually add a second Smart bridge and then have another 75 devices. You just have to set up a separate account with another email.