Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lights turning on randomly

Lights turning on randomly

I have two wireless dimmer switches installed with overhead can lights (4) and wall sconce lights (2). They've turned on randomly at full brightness several times, including the can lights turning on at full brightness last night at 3 am, the second time this has happened in the middle of the night. Clearly not acceptable for this kind of product. My wife basically wants them ripped out unless I can guarantee this will never happen again. There's many other reports of weird behavior, so is this a common problem? The hub is just outside the room. Can the switches respond to random noise and turn on without the hub sending a signal? Either way, how do I fix this?

Do you have the dimmers connected to Alexa? If so it's highly possible that Alexa Guard is causing the issue. Check Guard status on the Device tab of the Alexa app - it will say "Away" if it is active. Guard is configurable in the Alexa app in the Settings (3 bar) menu.

Do you have any Pico's in the system? I lost Pico placed under a book or stack of papers, or some other moderately "heavy" object may be intermittently pressing the On button. Also, check your scenes for time scheduled events, and verify that the bridge (and your phone) are on the correct time zone.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I'm replying to this old post as it was the first result that came up when I searched this issue on Google. My lights were driving me crazy. I thought my house was haunted. I thought I was going to have to reset my entire smart home and start all the configuration from scratch. Then my wife asked, "Could it be that the Lutron hub has gone bad?" So I searched, and found this forum and BillD's post. And what do you know. Somehow on my Alexa app, the Alexa Guard was turned to AWAY and the random AWAY lighting setting was turned on. I don't even use Alexa Guard and I'm not sure how it was changed to AWAY unless Alexa heard me say something incorrectly as Alexa sometimes does. So I disabled the AWAY lighting setting and changed Guard to HOME. Solved. The bedroom ceiling lights turning on at 2:30 am was shocking to say the least. So, thank you BillD. I owe you bottle of whiskey or similar. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    Do you have the dimmers connected to Alexa? If so it's highly possible that Alexa Guard is causing the issue. Check Guard status on the Device tab of the Alexa app - it will say "Away" if it is active. Guard is configurable in the Alexa app in the Settings (3 bar) menu.