Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4-way with Mechanical Switch

4-way with Mechanical Switch

First, and most importantly, can the PD-5ANS be used in a 4-way configuration with mechanical switches and no Pico's?If so, can the PD-5ANS replace the actual 4-way switch itself with jumpers on the other two 3-way switches?My configuration has power coming to the first 3-way switch, then goes to a 4-way switch, and from there to the last 3-way switch.

I did something similar

Hi. I posted something yesterday about this.

After my first attempt with two mechanical 3 way switches, one 4 way switch, and the caseta switch, i did it again with two 3 way switches and the caseta. Working fine so far.

The Caseta is being fed from the same circuit as the mechanical switches/ travellers. Using the last 3 way similar to powering the light bulb, except it is powering the blue traveller wire kn the Caseta.

The PD-5ANS is approved for use with a single, mechanical, 3-way switch. It sounds like irwingibson has (2) 3-way switches in parallel. I don't see why that wouldn't work but it is not approved by the mother ship. It will definitely not work with a 4-way switch.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The PD-5ANS is approved for use with a single, mechanical, 3-way switch. It sounds like irwingibson has (2) 3-way switches in parallel. I don't see why that wouldn't work but it is not approved by the mother ship. It will definitely not work with a 4-way switch.
    Not sure why I didn't get notification of these posts so apologies for the long delay on my front.Do you know if the PD-6ANS is capable of working with a 4-way switch?Strange how a few days can change my search results as today Google did show me this post: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...witch-question. Unfortunately there is no wiring diagram to go with a potential solution. I have three switches with one of them being a 4-way that I would love to replace with the Caseta, but am now starting to think that use of a Pico is the only way. The idea of having to maintain the Pico batteries is what bugs me and therefore I would like to avoid.

Thanks irwingibson,If I understand you correctly, you stuck the Caseta at the end of the circuit to get it to work, and you left the 4-way switch in. Is that correct?Or did you replace the 4-way with a Caseta in the last configuration? If so, and if the 4-way was in the middle of the circuit, is there something that I should be thinking about as far as how it should be wired?

BIG Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by schneideris View Post
    Not sure why I didn't get notification of these posts so apologies for the long delay on my front.Do you know if the PD-6ANS is capable of working with a 4-way switch?Strange how a few days can change my search results as today Google did show me this post: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...witch-question. Unfortunately there is no wiring diagram to go with a potential solution. I have three switches with one of them being a 4-way that I would love to replace with the Caseta, but am now starting to think that use of a Pico is the only way. The idea of having to maintain the Pico batteries is what bugs me and therefore I would like to avoid.
    I have the same question but with just have a 3 way

BIG Cheese

Hello ... any diagrams out there ? I assume the blue wire is used as the traveller. I don't mind blowing up a 3 dollar mechanical 3-way switch but to destroy a $ 40.00 devise is a different story. 😣