Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MACL-LFQ Dimmer keeps malfunctioning

MACL-LFQ Dimmer keeps malfunctioning

I installed this MACL-LFQ dimmer a few months ago to replace a Lutron L2-LFSQ because one of the tabs had broken off. I used this newer, more expensive model because we wanted to use LED bulbs instead of the incandescents.The wiring was simple since it was already replacing another fan/light switch, and it worked fine for a couple months.Recently, after turning off the light, hitting the switch again doesn't turn it back on. Sometimes, the very top (light) and bottom (fan) LEDs flash, and if I push the light switch a couple more times, the lights come on.Other times, the bottom three LEDs on the light switch flash and the switch is completely unresponsive until I pull out the FASS (before I discovered that switch, I had to turn off the breaker to that room).Is this dimmer defective? Thanks for your help!

It sounds like a compatibility issue with the LED bulbs and the dimmer. It's not uncommon for them to work for a while, then start acting weird.

You can find a compatibility chart at lutron.com/led. You can also try the bulb manufacturer website.

If you want to test bulbs on your own...
    Make sure the bulbs you have are dimmable (not all LEDs are). Make sure the bulbs say forward phase, leading edge, or incandescent dimming. I have pretty good luck with Cree, Philips and EcoSmart (HomeDepot brand).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the response!I was wondering if that was the problem. Unfortunately, the fan has candelabra base bulbs, and I can't find any such bulbs in the compatibility list. Any recommendations?I guess I can just try a brand that is usually compatible (e.g. Philips) and see if it works. I just hate to buy a lot of LED bulbs if they won't work.

randyc,Just an update, I tried the only candelabra base Philips I could find, and so far they seem to be working. Hopefully the weird activity doesn't resume later.They're not the best looking bulbs (bottom half is white plastic with writing on it) but that part is mostly hidden in this particular fixture.Thanks again for the advice.