Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upgrade from RA1 (Classic)

Upgrade from RA1 (Classic)

I have a RadioRa classic system inherited in my current home . It has a Chronos System Bridge Rs-232 . I have been using it with my Elan systems APP but my Elan System is failing and therefore I cant automate or control my lights . Is there a simple way to get a Lutron App to work with the RA1 or if not what is my best option . I really appreciate any assistance as I am finding it difficult to know what to do next!I apologise if this is the wrong forum but I couldnt see an RA1 area.

RA Classic had a limit of 32 dimmers/switches and 12 keypads per system. The Chronos allowed you to link 2 systems, doubling capacity. Chronos also has a very good astronomic clock that can be used for scheduling events. To evaluate the system you would need to know how many devices are involved. There is a menu item on the Chronos screen that will tell you how many devices you have. It might be called address usage. The two systems are likely listed separately.

Daylight Savings start dates changed in 2007. Some Chronos have the ability to adjust the start dates. If yours was manufactured before 2007, it does not have the ability to adjust DST dates. If not, you would have to manually adjust the time twice/year.

There is no direct upgrade for your system. None of the existing components can be used in any of the newer systems. Well, you could use the companion dimmers and switches but not the radio controlled ones. If you have QED shades you might be able to upgrade them to QS.

RadioRA 2 prices are considerably less than what your system originally cost. The Chronos retailed for $1,600. A RA2 main repeater is $550 and a RA2 Select main repeater is $249. The dimmers you have were around $249, new ones are $139.

Depending on what your needs are, you may be able to use a Caseta system. It's smaller scale but about 60% of the price of RA2.

newer systems have a ton of new features like integration with home automation systems like SmartThings, HomeSeer, etc. Lutron provides a free app that gives you remote access and allows you to most adjustments yourself.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

There is still a RA2 Upgrade program. Contact your local rep, or a Lutron PRO who does RadioRA2. They have access to the upgrade program. You'll get a quote for a new system, submit to Lutron along with a bill of materials for the Ra Classic you have, and they can authorize a rebate amount. Needs to be RadioRA2. Then you would buy ad commission the system from the Lutron PRO. You would then submit the final bill of material for the RadioRA2 system, along with the pre-authorized rebate. I believe that you actually have to return the old merchandise as well to get your check. Direct replacement gets a better rebate amount than additional devices beyond the original system, but there is still something there on new devices.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    RA Classic had a limit of 32 dimmers/switches and 12 keypads per system. The Chronos allowed you to link 2 systems, doubling capacity. Chronos also has a very good astronomic clock that can be used for scheduling events. To evaluate the system you would need to know how many devices are involved. There is a menu item on the Chronos screen that will tell you how many devices you have. It might be called address usage. The two systems are likely listed separately. Daylight Savings start dates changed in 2007. Some Chronos have the ability to adjust the start dates. If yours was manufactured before 2007, it does not have the ability to adjust DST dates. If not, you would have to manually adjust the time twice/year.There is no direct upgrade for your system. None of the existing components can be used in any of the newer systems. Well, you could use the companion dimmers and switches but not the radio controlled ones. If you have QED shades you might be able to upgrade them to QS. RadioRA 2 prices are considerably less than what your system originally cost. The Chronos retailed for $1,600. A RA2 main repeater is $550 and a RA2 Select main repeater is $249. The dimmers you have were around $249, new ones are $139. Depending on what your needs are, you may be able to use a Caseta system. It's smaller scale but about 60% of the price of RA2. newer systems have a ton of new features like integration with home automation systems like SmartThings, HomeSeer, etc. Lutron provides a free app that gives you remote access and allows you to most adjustments yourself.
    Thanks very much for the detailed info. I believe mine is post 2007 but I will check it out . You have given me some ideas which I will follow up on. Much appreciated.

SDR-Mike, thanks for the excellent info. I didnt know they offered an upgrade program. I will get a quote and see what sort of numbers they come up with. I have roughly 30 dimmers around the house so I am braced for the pain ! Thanks and it is Very much appreciated.

SmartThings

Depending what you want to do, there are now options for RadioRA Classic owners...like SmartThings integration. They require a RS232 bridge and running some specialized software. There are some downsides like the RadioRA Classic RS232 system can't inquire what the current dimmer level is of specific dimmers (e.g if a user changed them), but it can set each dimmer to a specific level, offer scenes, flashing/security integration, etc. For instance, https://github.com/rsnodgrass/SmartThings (forked from https://github.com/homemations/SmartThings) which is a SmartThings integration. I started work on a plug-and-play HomeAssistant add-on, but will probably abandon it since I think switching to Caseta just makes more sense in my case as I've yet to find LEDs that truly work well with the RadioRA Classic dimmers. AND, the RS232 protocol doesn't allow you to figure out what the current dimmer settings are...which makes adapting to changes by people in the house impossible. You can see where I was going with this here: https://github.com/rsnodgrass/hassio...classic-bridge https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rs...mg/diagram.png

Does anyone know how to get a RadioRA Classic dimmer's current state (not just on/off states) via the RS232 protocol? I think it is not possible, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for your post rynoshark.Unfortunately there is no command to get the light level but just if the zone is on. We do apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh R. View Post
    Thank you for your post rynoshark.Unfortunately there is no command to get the light level but just if the zone is on. We do apologize!
    Thanks for confirming Josh! I will "upgrade" to Casetas from ClassicRA then...especially since they support LED lights (though I wonder if ClassicRA lights with LEDs would shut off completely if a Lutron LUT-MLC was installed). I much prefer the clean simple style of the RadioRA/RA2 switches vs the very busy looking Casetas, but much prefer Caseta from integration perspective as more and more off-the-shelf D IY home automation systems seem to be supporting Caseta (as opposed to RA2).

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    RadioRA 2 prices are considerably less than what your system originally cost. The Chronos retailed for $1,600. A RA2 main repeater is $550 and a RA2 Select main repeater is $249. The dimmers you have were around $249, new ones are $139. Depending on what your needs are, you may be able to use a Caseta system. It's smaller scale but about 60% of the price of RA2.
    It's funny how things change. I remember when Ra Classic's repeaters were $700 OUR PRICE. I still have a couple that I had put on Ebay for $15 and nobody wanted it. I went through hell with Chronos because a salesperson had sold the customer 2 full systems (I used all 64 devices) and if you wanted to control a scene that had dimmers from both systems, you needed a "whole home" scene and it would take almost 10 seconds for the whole scene to go through each dimmer in one system and then the second system and you couldn't use the raise/lower buttons on whole home scenes. They really needed Wireless Homeworks but at the time it was really really expensive. Now days Caseta does way more.