Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Integrate RA2 Select Main Repeater with a RA2 Main Repeater

Integrate RA2 Select Main Repeater with a RA2 Main Repeater

Hi, we are new to the forums and fairly new to the Lutron family.We have installed a Control 4 system at a customer site and the blind company installed the shades and provided a RA2 Select Main repeater along with a RA2 Select Aux Repeater. The two work fine together but the issue is the customer has a detached garage and of course the signal does not reach the garage in order to operate the blinds located on the second floor.We contacted Lutron and they said we could add another RA2 Select to the project but that would entail the customer having two separate Lutron accounts (one for each main repeater) or we could instead install a RA2 Main Repeater in the house and then add up to two RA2 Select Main repeaters under that one account which would be preferred to eliminate the need for the customer changing from one account to the next. We can not find any information online on how to go about integrating this. We have the following equipment (RA2 Main Repeater, RA2 Aux Repeater, RA2 Select Main Repeater, RA2 Select Aux Repeater). We have a network cable going from the main house out to the garage so we can put the secondary RA2 Select Main Repeater on the same local network in the garage.How would we go about programming this? There are 12 shades in the main house and there are 4 shades in the garage so this is a small system, we just are not sure how to go about integrating both of these RA2 devices together.Thanks for any guidance.

A better solution would be to migrate all the shades to a single RA2 main repeater and eliminate the Select. The original auxiliary repeater can be hardwired for communication to the garage. If additional aux repeaters are needed, just re-use the wireless repeaters from the Select in the full RadioRA2. I would use the Lutron where to buy (top of Lutron.com) and find a level 2 dealer. Does the Control4 programmer do Lutron? He's the one that is going to have to integrate all those mains together, which will result in multiple accounts and possible delays/lags/missed commands. Control4 can integrate well with all Lutron systems.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

We are the C4 installers and we have been through the level 1 RA2 training. We have no way of running a repeater link out to the garage but we have lan connectivity out there which is why Lutron suggested we use a Select Main Repeater out at the garage. There are no Level 2's anywhere around where we are so unless this can be done remotely by a level 2 then I would have to do it myself. -Thanks

Curious what's the distance from house to garage? Are you going by the 30' spec so thinking it won't reach? Have you tried it? Lutron tends to over engineer and under spec. Many on this forum can attest to that. I would exhaust all my options with Aux's before I put in another system just for a few shades.

I agree with MitchE here. Distance spec between repeaters is 60', but may be actually much better. Get a wireless repeater in the house up against the wall closest to the garage. Then get one in the garage up against the wall closest to the house. Aux repeaters (wireless repeaters use the same antenna) have a stronger antenna than the mains. Might make the whole thing work without adding a second main. If it still isn't possible, I'd contact the rep to see if he could help out with the Level 2 certification.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols