Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lutron Caseta Dimmer light stays on and won’t Dim

Lutron Caseta Dimmer light stays on and won’t Dim

I am really confused. I have just had a house built with many Progress Lighting #p8107-28 ELV reverse phase LED lights. I installed a Lutron Caseta PD-6WCL on my 1-way switch outside lights, which includes 2 standard fixtures and also with 2 of the Progress lights and everything worked perfectly.

When I tried to install on a other switches (both a 1-way and a 3-way) that was just the Progress Light fixtures, it didn’t work. The lights just stayed on in a dim light and they would not dim or turn off.

I then tried the Caseta PD-5NE with the neutral wire to see if that would work. This time the lights stay on bright and will not dim or turn off. I changed it to the ELV mode with no change.

It seems as if I need a standard fixture on the same switch as the ELV fixture to get it to work properly. Anyone have any solutions?

I believe you are having 2 issues. ELV drivers need a revers-phase dimmer (aka PD-5NE). The 6WCL is a forward-phase dimmer and will not work on ELV loads.

Second, I believe you are having a wiring issue. When the lights are controlled from more than one location, you have to change some wiring. I have included a link to the Caseta advanced instructions below. Make sure you connect the neutral on the 5NE.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I will try to explain again

Apparently I was not totally clear in my last message. I did try the PD-5NE. When connecting the ELV light fixtures to the PD-5NE for a one way switch and changed to the ELV mode. The lights just stayed on and the switch did nothing. When I switched the 2 black wires the Lutron switch would not turn off even with the FASS switch pulled out.

The 6WCL is not compatible with that fixture. The 5NE is the correct model.

Make sure you have power connected to the black lead and out to the light on the red lead.

Make sure you have the neutral connected.

If the problem persists, you may have neutral interaction which would require an electrician to troubleshoot.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Same issue

I have this exact same issue. Regular dimmer worked but would buzz. Switched to ELV and no buzzing but wouldn’t turn off. Tried Pro version (with neutral) and now back to square one with buzzing but it will turn off like the regular dimmer. Did you ever find the problem?