Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lutron Needs to Test Fixtures

Lutron Needs to Test Fixtures

When I was having a compatibility problem with a fixture, I called Lutron support and was told snootily, "We only test bulbs. We don't test fixtures!" Well, these days more and more people are installing LED fixtures, and if you get it wrong, it's a lot harder to swap out a fixture than a bulb. I think Lutron needs to change their policy and start testing fixtures.

I generally agree about fixtures. However, that is not as easy as it sounds. Fixtures probably out number bulbs by a large margin. Lutron tests bulbs in various combinations - 1, 3, 8, etc. Getting fixture manufacturers to submit 10 or so fixtures for testing is unlikely. If the fixture manufacturers used Lutron drivers there would be no compatibility issues. There is no way to ensure that the manufacturer doesn't switch drivers tomorrow (just like bulb manufacturers do!).

FWIW, I steer customers away from integral drivers as much as possible. Unless there is something special they are trying to light, the economics are just not there. For general lighting it easier and more economical to go to a box store and buy a replacement bulb.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Post the fixture here, and in the general Homeworks forum. Chances are, if it's a decent fixture, someone here may have already used it and can provide feedback. I disagree with randyc here- integrated fixtures work so much better and the fit and finish far surpass the look of the traditional trim and bulb. I've seen a 2" round fixture punching out 800-1000 lumens now. Never going to get that with any bulb. As far as Lutron testing fixtures- probably never happen. Too hard to mimic every possible scenario that could occur. I have motor loads on the same circuit as some lighting (built 1988), so weird things can happen. Dining chandelier dims (LED) when the microwave goes on, etc. Bulbs can be put into a controlled test environment. Easier to compare that way. Before you say, "they can do that with fixtures, too!", realize that Lutron only tests what the manufacturers send them. If no one sends to Lutron, then Lutron will not test it. They need a significant amount of the fixture and will destroy about half in testing. They are going to push it to the limits and past to check the fixture thoroughly. Manufacturers may not want their fixtures exposed to rigorous testing, as it would expose exactly how cheap these are made.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Just to clarify, I was referring to general lighting. There are plenty of good applications for integrated drivers. There are also plenty of good applications for the screw-in LEDs.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

@randyc- I misunderstood, mea culpa! Guess I hit enter before I should have.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols