Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help with Lutron Maestro C.L Dimmer Switch model: MACL-153M-WH

Exclamation Help with Lutron Maestro C.L Dimmer Switch model: MACL-153M-WH

Hey guys.Im having issues connecting the switch. In the diagram, pictures and videos I have watched it says connect the black wires to the two side screws. It says it doesnt matter which wire go into which screw and not to use the blue screw. I am connecting a single location switch. I do everything shown but nothing happens. There is no lights turning on at the switch at all. I have an electric detector and I do have power at the switch and the light fixture but the light does not turn on and the little green lights on the switch itself does not turn on. I thought I had a defected switch so got a replacement and same thing. There IS power so shouldn't the lights on the switch turn on at least? Even if the connection isnt working for some reason there is a hot wire in the switch so Id assume the lights on switch should turn on but nothing no more. I assume I am doing something wrong since I have tried two switches. Im no electrician and was just hoping to get a light to work as squirrels damaged the neutral wire and this was a great way for me to get light with it. Any help would be appreciated as I am a noob to this how thing.

Power should always come in on the black screw and out to the light/next device on the brass screw. The blue screw is used to communicate with companion dimmers.

You may have more than 1 wire attached to each terminal. For example, you may have a 2nd wire feeding power to a box across the room. You can push 1 wire in the back and wrap 1 around the screw or make a pig-tail. It's not very common but you might have more than 1 wire going up to the lights.

Make sure the neutrals/white didn't loosen when you were working in the box.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Power should always come in on the black screw and out to the light/next device on the brass screw. The blue screw is used to communicate with companion dimmers. You may have more than 1 wire attached to each terminal. For example, you may have a 2nd wire feeding power to a box across the room. You can push 1 wire in the back and wrap 1 around the screw or make a pig-tail. It's not very common but you might have more than 1 wire going up to the lights. Make sure the neutrals/white didn't loosen when you were working in the box.
    I have Power on black and the other black wire on the screw on the switch. I have no neutral wire thats why I am trying these switches as they say no neutral is needed. I am doing a single location so only have two wires in the box. One power and one that goes to the light switch. There is power on the line but no lights turn on at the switch.

Do you have a dimmable light bulb installed? These dimmers need a light bulb installed in order to power themselves. Smart bulbs or non-dimmable bulbs may not pass current through them to allow lights to come on on the Maestro itself.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    Do you have a dimmable light bulb installed? These dimmers need a light bulb installed in order to power themselves. Smart bulbs or non-dimmable bulbs may not pass current through them to allow lights to come on on the Maestro itself.
    Have dimmable LED bulbs that were in the recommended section. Could it be the light fixture not compatible or does any light fixture work with the switch? Any light fixture recommendations? Where would the neutral wire from the light fixture go?

Unhappy Just dont know

I tried it all and just cant seem to get the switch to power up. There is electricity going to the switch and there is electric going to the light fixture. I just cant seem to get the switch to turn on and control the lighting.

It all depends on where the driver is. If the driver is in the fixture itself, you will need to make sure the bulb is compatible with the driver and the fixture is compatible with the dimmer. In this case, the fixture manufacturer will specify which bulbs you can use.

If your fixture does not have a driver, you need a bulb with a driver in it.

If your fixture has a driver and your bulb has a driver, it will never work.

To test your wiring, remove the switch and tie the two wires together, then turn power back on. If it lights up, the dimmer is dead. If the light doesn't come on, you have one of the issues above.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Sooo

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    It all depends on where the driver is. If the driver is in the fixture itself, you will need to make sure the bulb is compatible with the driver and the fixture is compatible with the dimmer. In this case, the fixture manufacturer will specify which bulbs you can use.If your fixture does not have a driver, you need a bulb with a driver in it. If your fixture has a driver and your bulb has a driver, it will never work. To test your wiring, remove the switch and tie the two wires together, then turn power back on. If it lights up, the dimmer is dead. If the light doesn't come on, you have one of the issues above.
    I did what you said and connected the two black and the lights do not light up. So I assume as you say, its either the fixture or the lights. Since I am using the recommended Ecosmart - A19 light bulbs I assume its the fixture? How can I tell which do I need? Its for a bathroom and the fixture is over the medicine cabinet not the ceiling. This one says its compatible with it - https://tinyurl.com/y3ujw8wtAny fixture suggestions? Also, thanks for the help this has been killing me.