Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RRD-H6BRL-WH Using it as a on/off switch how does raise/lower works?

RRD-H6BRL-WH Using it as a on/off switch how does raise/lower works?

Hello, so I liked the RRD-H6BRL-WH, however is the raise/lower option works if I just use it as an on/off switch? How will the raise/lower option work in a specific area, since it's not a scene and multiple will be active. Also, any idea why it looks uglier when being sold (https://ik.imagekit.io/llat6lfmbghxp...d-h6brl-wh.jpg) And originally in the picture https://smhttp-ssl-68412.nexcesscdn....-wh-01.158.jpg What am I missing? Both white. Thanks

Search these forums. DONOT use the hybrid keypad or any dimmer as an on/off switch. At the core, a dimmer is still a dimmer and has ramp rates instead of the instant on/off of a switch. Even if you set the fade on/off on these devices to 0.00 seconds, it is still ramping. You will cause failure of the device or fixture at an almost 100% guaranteed rate. Best option is to run a standard keypad- RRD-W6-BRL-WH, and have a keypad button to operate a switch- RRD-8ANS-WH, for your load. Using the raise and lower buttons will result in the load turning on or off, usually with a slight delay that requires holding the raise or lower button for about a second.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Oh wow, didn't knew that. I was planning to buy a dimmer for the whole house. Since almost everything will be led, however I was planning as a on/off switch to a specific % light, but I can change it to a button with scenarios instead, but that just confuses me, are dimmers not supposed to be used constantly? Or should I avoid using dimmers and try to focus on switches unless is necessary to have a specific % of light? Thanks a lot for the help and patiance. My first time using Lutron, and still learning on the process.

Even after talking with Lutron's support, we can't understand how exactly it will cause failure. My whole house has dimmable lights from the supported list. Could you please elaborate more, since I may still have a chance to return the dimmers. I'm confused why it would cause failure use it as on/off when it's basically dimming at a specific %, what would be different than regular dimming? Thanks

If the source/fixture in question is dimmable, then you should be fine. If you try and run a dimmer (RRD-6ND/10ND/6NA) on a switching only load, the dimmer and/or the fixture will fail. I have never had it hold up. In regards to your original post, if the fixture is dimmable, then the fixture will dim up and down- regardless of how the button that controls that load is programmed.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols