Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3way wiring help

3way wiring help

Ok so i'm following this install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvjub64St3Q

I have two switches upstairs for a light upstairs and downstairs,
    and 2(well 4 switches downstairs)

I went upstairs, killed the breaker, pulled the wall plate, and wired switch 1 to pigtails, and switch 2 to pigtails.
    Turned on power, lights are on. Good.
    Tested downstairs switches.
    Lights are still on.

Not sure what to do next.

I would include colored diagrams, but house is old and wires are cloth insulated so that doesn't really tell you anything.

switch 1 had 3 wires, two to black screws and 1 to a brass screw.
    same on switch 2

Help?

unless i'm confused and installing the smart switch makes it work correctly?

looking at this
    https://www.hunker.com/13414121/how-...witch-to-2-way

it sounds like i'm conceptually thinking of the expected behavior wrong?

So... the first video is so bad I could not watch it. Lutron really, really needs to update that. The article you linked was written by a pediatrician.

It would be helpful to know which Caseta devices you are using. Some Caseta dimmers work with (1) mechanical 3-way switch. Some require replacing one of the 3-way switches with a Pico remote. If your light is switched from more than 2 locations, you must use Pico remotes in the other locations. I have included the link to "Caseta Advanced Instructions" which may help.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    So... the first video is so bad I could not watch it. Lutron really, really needs to update that. The article you linked was written by a pediatrician.

It would be helpful to know which Caseta devices you are using. Some Caseta dimmers work with (1) mechanical 3-way switch. Some require replacing one of the 3-way switches with a Pico remote. If your light is switched from more than 2 locations, you must use Pico remotes in the other locations. I have included the link to "Caseta Advanced Instructions" which may help.

www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/0301710a_Caseta%20Advanced%20Instructions.pdf
    Wish i had read this sooner. I read the comments in the lutron video and someone mentioned having to cap off the common. I went back and tried that and it worked.

So i had two 3 way switches and two lights.
    I figured given the stuff at home depot a mechanical casseta dimmer and a pico would work for each light.
    However!

I found that for one light i had to cap off the common and for the other i had to cap the travelers and the common. So who knows wtf is going on in my house.

everything working now except I had to go back and get dimmable lights cause the lights in there were not good ugh.