Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Metal wallboxes

Metal wallboxes

Have a couple of metal wallboxes that I am planning on installing hybrid keypads in. Will the grounded metal boxes possibly interfere with the Radio signal? I think the antenna is pretty close to the button surface in all the maestro style controls and metal wallboxes should not interfere... , but what about hybrid keypads and regular keypads?

I have a wired aux repeater about 20 feet away (with 2 layers of drywall between them) and the keypads will be facing it. Assuming as long as the metal box is not blocking the line between the keypad and repeater antenna, I should be ok? Or is it worth it to replace the wallboxes with plastic?

Thanks!

I use metal boxes all the time, never been a problem. Also doesn’t seem to matter if the dimmer is facing the repeater or not. This is why it is worth it to use Lutron Clear Connect instead of other, lesser technologies.

Great, thank you!

Lutron's claim to fame (aka patent) is for having the antenna outside the box/wall. If you remove the button kit you can see the antenna.

Metal boxes are smaller than their plastic counterparts. Especially in older homes. Dimmers are large devices. Add a few wires and you may have a challenge squeezing it all in.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com