Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Repeater offline following firmware update and transfer from Essentials 11.6.0

Main Repeater offline following firmware update and transfer from Essentials 11.6.0

Recently took over management of RadioRA 2 system. Was attempting to add Open Connect and make some minor name changes using latest version of Essentials software. Firmware portion appeared to succedd, but transfer failed. Now I see a LED status code with RF, Wired, Add, and Test status LEDs blinking green, once every 2-3 seconds, and no IP present on the attached router. Reading through the forums, I see some entries speaking of connecting the computer running Essentials software directly to the Main Repeater using an Ethernet cable. I'm not sure this is an option, since I no longer see an IP registered on the previously connected router to avoiding using the same IP when manually setting this on the computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by waltege View Post
    Recently took over management of RadioRA 2 system. Was attempting to add Open Connect and make some minor name changes using latest version of Essentials software. Firmware portion appeared to succedd, but transfer failed. Now I see a LED status code with RF, Wired, Add, and Test status LEDs blinking green, once every 2-3 seconds, and no IP present on the attached router. Reading through the forums, I see some entries speaking of connecting the computer running Essentials software directly to the Main Repeater using an Ethernet cable. I'm not sure this is an option, since I no longer see an IP registered on the previously connected router to avoiding using the same IP when manually setting this on the computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    This may help you: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ED-blink-codes Looks like it might not have its OS. You might need to directly connect to the repeater with your PC rather than through the router and do another firmware update. You should be able to still directly connect to the repeater. You will need to change your ip settings on your laptop to do so. Instructions are located here http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...king_Guide.pdf which should help guide you to do that. You may also want to create a new RA file and attempt to find the repeater, if it sees it than change the IP address and save with out transferring, then close the file and open the one you are working in and see if the repeater can be found. I hope this helps.

Additional Info.

Monitoring the LED blink code more closely, it still doesn't match any of those described by Lutron. I see the following, a quick flash of Red on M, 1, 3, 4, RF, Wired, and Test, and then a longer flash of Green on RF, Wired, Test and Add about a 1/4 sec. later. This repeats every 2 sec. When connecting an Ethernet cable from the Main Repeater to a laptop computer, the Green and Yellow LEDs flash briefly on the Main Repeater's Ethernet port, just prior to the sequence described above, and continue to do the same for every cycle. The computer shows the connected Ethernet cable comming Online only at the instant of the Green and Yellow LED flash, and then immediately going back Offline. With the Essentials software, attempts to find the Main Repeater while directly connected via the Ethernet cable, continue to fail. I achieve the same results when attempting to find the Main Repeater using a new Project within Essentials. If I insted use a router, attaching both the Main Repeater and Open Connect devices, only the Open Connect can be found, using either DHCP or fixed IP settings within Essentials. The router also shows the LAN port connected to the Main Repeater (indicated by a port LED on the front panel) to light up briefly at the same instant of the Green and Yellow LEDs on the Main Repeater Ethernet port, and remain off otherwise. The ability to find the Open Connect device at least validates that the network settings in Windows were configured properly. Do these symptons indicate a bad firmware install, or possibly a failing power supply? Again, the Main Repeater was functioning normally for the past 4 years, even allowing an extraction of the Project file from the device prior to attempting the update. Absent a faulty power supply (need to confirm with a Volt meter), I'm beginning to think the repeater is in a non-recoverable state, and will require a replacement to function normally.

I would reset the main repeater to factory default. You can find the procedure in the installation instructions (I have pasted a copy below). Disconnect everything from the repeater except power (no Ethernet, rs232, RS485). Cycle power before you reset. Make sure you wait the dreaded minute or so before reapplying power. It may take a couple of attempts to get it reset.

Once you have the Main reset, go to Tools and Update Main Repeater Firmware. You could go straight to transfer but I would try the firmware update first.

Returning a Main Repeater to Factory Settings
    1. Triple tap and hold the Test button on a Main Repeater. DO NOT release the button after the third tap.
    2. Keep the Test button press on the third tap until all the LEDs start to flash red slowly (approximately 3 seconds).
    3. Release the Test button and Immediately triple tap it again. All the LEDs will flash red quickly. When the LEDs stop flashing the main repeater has been returned to factory settings.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Warning, Warning!!! Defaulting repeater will send a default to all devices and all will have to be re activated. As per tech told me take main off site. Far of site so no chance it contacts other devices. Factory reset then bring back to site. Load file and transfer. It will act as a new repeater.

All attempts to return the Main Repeater to Factory Settings fail. The previously described LED sequence with Red and Green flashes continues.

Before you give up, check here to see if you did the factory default correctly. I know it is a dimmer in this scenario, but the concept remains the same for all Lutron devices. https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...actory-default If you can default the main, then immediately do a firmware update. I have seen more than a few jobs where the firmware "loaded" but picked up an error in transmission. A new update and transfer has fixed all of them. I've only had to "rebuild" a repeater in the field twice, this was when we could not get it to communicate. The software package contains all the tools to do this, but it can get complicated. I always call tech for help when that happens. They'll have a guy, somewhere, that can walk you through it.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

MitchE
    Warning, Warning!!! Defaulting repeater will send a default to all devices and all will have to be re activated. As per tech told me take main off site. Far of site so no chance it contacts other devices. Factory reset then bring back to site. Load file and transfer. It will act as a new repeater.

Have you see this happen? When I reset then activate a repeater it goes through the process of checking for systems close by. It sees the existing devices as a system and selects an alternate frequency. I always have to reset each device to factory defaults so I can add it to the "new" repeater. It's hard to imagine Lutron sending out a global factory reset. Especially without having to click 627 acknowledgements. Although, there are times I wish I could do a global reset.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Resolution with Lutron Technical Support

I finally called Lutron Technical Support, as all attempts to perform a factory reset had failed. The Lutron support technician went through the usual steps I would expect, to validate proper communication, ie. confirming the Anti-Virus and Firewalls were temporarily disabled. I was familiar with these, as they were also mentioned within the Lutron Residential Networking Guide. Again, the Main Repeater remained offline. The tech also agreed that the simptoms were indicative of a faulty power supply, with all LEDs cyclicly powering off, so that the unit appeared to be continuously rebooting. I mentioned that I had located another 9 vdc supply, and got the same results. He final diagnoses was that there was a power supply issue within the Main Repeater, and would ship a replacement unit. Once received, I would ship the old unit back using the same packaging, so that the engineers onsite could further diagnose the issue. FYI: I live in Central Florida, the lightning capital of the US. That could be the cause for the marginal power supply, due to power surges induced from lightning in the area. I have other equipment in the home that have mysteriously failed, ie. one of two Ethernet ports failing on a Synology NAS, cable modem and router failures, etc. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Randyc, I actually just did this today, as I had to move my RA2 to a different channel since it and my Caseta were interfering with each other. When I defaulted the Main Repeater, all the 2 way devices (keypads, dimmers, switches) all did a factory default also. Then on the activation page there was an option to reactivate all devices. When I clicked that it Activated the main repeater, then went through all the devices and activated them based on the serial numbers. I then had to manually change the channels on my Picos and Powr Savr sensors. It was a process, but less of a pain than I expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast