Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Fan Control Speeds

Unhappy New Fan Control Speeds

Switched from GE Z-Wave dimmers, switches, and fan controls to the relatively new Lutron Caseta fan control. The fans are 3 speed pull chain (high, med, low). 4 if you count off. The fan runs normally on high on Caseta Fan Control. Any other setting and the fan turns too slow to be useful, even on MED HIGH. I think MED HIGH is about the same as LOW on the pull chain or the GE fan control. The older GE Z-Wave fan controls just had High/Med/Low and corresponded closely to the High/Med/Low on the pull chain. I'm stumped. The fans are circa 1990 (maybe older) Hunter fans.

Make sure the pull chain is on the highest setting. Then use the Caseta control to change speeds.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Yep, it's on high. Turn it down one notch using the Lutron Fan Control and it goes so slow I can count the RPM. I should have read the reviews on Amazon. Seems like I'm not the only one with issues with this.I'll try calling support tomorrow.

Did you find a solution to this? I installed a new Hunter fan and have a similar issue. The fan is on high via chain control. The caseta seems to work on high, but med high, medium, and low settings seem super slow.

That's strange. I have three brand new Hunter ceiling fans and two existing older ceiling fans that are probably over 25 years old. I have put Lutron Caseta Ceiling Fan switches on all 5 of them and they all work perfectly. Instead of having 33%, 66%, and 100%; I now have 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%. I really like the 25% setting for most of the day and then at night we turn it up to 50% for sleeping. The 75% is pretty strong and the 100% feels like I am under an airplane.On your new fans, did you get plain pull-chain fans or fans with remotes? Mine are the dumb kind with pull chains. I verified that the pull chain was set to the maximum speed when the fan switch was set to maximum. I can then set the speed using the fan switch to my desired speed. One time, I forgot to do this and my fan was on the low setting and the lower three speeds didn't change all that much. Once I changed the speed at the fan with the chain to the highest setting, everything worked great.

Type of motor?

Question, does your ceiling fan have an AC motor or a DC motor? A lot of newer fans have DC motors and they may be an issue with the switch as the fan speed on a DC motor is controlled inside the fan and not at the wall switch.

I do not have a good answer for you, and neither does Hunter. We have since bought a new home and moved. In the old cabin, we just went back to on/off switches. In the new place, the previous owner updated the place and put in new Hunter fans. Surprisingly, the two that I have put fan speed controllers on work -- and the updated fans are all the same model. There are two fans that we intended to update and I asked Hunter "Which fans re compatible with Lutron Caseta Wireless Fan Speed controller." After a few minutes, the response I got was "None of our fans are compatible." Obviously, that is not true, although it might be their policy. Why these work and the others did not, I have no idea. They're all AC motors.

Well, I am glad to hear that they are working for you in the new house.I have now converted all of my ceiling fans, a total of 5 fans with 3 new Hunters and 2 existing fans, and I love how the new fan switch from Lutron works. I especially like being able to set the speeds in our automations as we run them at different speeds at night versus during the day.

Me too

I have 2 Edison fans and I just installed a maestro 4 speed fan/ led dimmer switch it controls the lights beautifully but speeds 1-3 are about equal to speed 1 of pull chain and speed 4 goes full speed. So I have basically no kid point. And yes I set the pull chain to high speed and checked to make sure the direction switch wasn’t stuck. Have you resolved this issue?