Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MA-T51 Timer and Panasonic fan

MA-T51 Timer and Panasonic fan

Ths Panasonic exhaust fan was on a Leviton countdown timer that had started buzzing and had to be replaced. The fan is rated at 2.7 amps. I put an MA-T51 timer on it and the timer failed to start the fan (or maybe it's switching on and off so rapidly the blades never move?). The Fan's LED light is on a different switch. The timer controls only the fan. Any ideas?

Test the fan by connecting the 2 black wires together and turning power back on. If the fan works, you have a defective timer. It's extremely rare that a device is bad out of the box but it can happen. If the fan didn't work, check the neutral connection.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Timer on Panasonic fans

I have also installed the MA-T51 timers on three Panasonic fans. None of them work on those fans. I also install another MA-T51 timer on a Nutone fan and it works perfectly. The timers that don't work just flash the timer lights. My question is, could it be that the Panasonic fans having DC motors wont respond to the timers?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello treecatcher,Thank you for your post! It sounds like you might be dealing with a minimum load issue with the Lutron Maestro countdown timer and the Panasonic fans. We would suggest utilizing the neutral based version of this Maestro countdown timer (Model# MA-T51MN) as it reduces the minimum load down significantly. Please visit our support site for more information on the MA-T51MN @ http://www.lutron.com/en-US/pages/Su...TION=Documents Hope this helps!! -JustinF.

Quote Originally Posted by treecatcher View Post
    I have also installed the MA-T51 timers on three Panasonic fans. None of them work on those fans. I also install another MA-T51 timer on a Nutone fan and it works perfectly. The timers that don't work just flash the timer lights. My question is, could it be that the Panasonic fans having DC motors wont respond to the timers?
    This was my experience this very morning with the Panasonic DC motor exhaust fan and the MA-T51.

I have ordered a MA-T51MN to try with the Panasonic exhaust fans for my home we are building now. Hopefully the added neutral wire unit will work with this DC fan, as I really like this style of countdown timer.

Just an update.

I tried the MA-T51MN with my Panasonic DC motor bathroom exhaust fan and it works fine. It must be either a min load thing on the MA-T51, or perhaps the lack of neutral wire, but in any case, the MA-T51MN is the one you want for these very quiet Panasonic exhaust fans.

model MA-T51MN in a 3-way application with Maestro companion switches (model MA-AS)

How does the companion switch MA-AS control to the count down functions of the MA-T51MN switch or does it just turn on/off the connected fan?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello FPIDAL,Thank you for your post! You are correct, the Maestro Accessory Switch will simply turn on/off the fan to the last selected or preset option of the MA-T51MN countdown timer.Hope this helps!-JustinF.