Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6NA dimmer apparently fried by a bad power outage

6NA dimmer apparently fried by a bad power outage

I have a good sized Radio Ra2 system with a 6NA dimmer in my own home system that won't respond after a bad power outage. It's the only one out of 100 devices that was affected. When the power came back on it fluctuated quite a bit before it came on steady. I later discovered that this dimmer was on when it was not on prior to the outage. Now I cannot turn it off without pulling out the FASS disconnect switch. When I press the tapswitch button or the dimming rocker, the bottom 3 status led lights come on as long as I hold the button or rocker. I have been unable to perform a factory reset, nor can Essentials talk to it either. I've also tried removing the hot wire from the dimmer and reconnecting. Nada. Zip. Zilch. My assumption is that it is toast.

I don't suppose anybody has anything else that I might try to get this dimmer working again? I presume not, but let me know if otherwise. My real question is: what are other guys out there doing (or Lutron recommending) to try and protect customers systems from power outages? I live out in a rural area and this seems to happen with increasing regularity and it has me concerned for my own system and those of my customers.

Do you have a whole house surge protector installed in the main electrical panel?

Yes. It's a Seimens surge arrester installed in the main panel.

That dimmer is done. You are describing what I lovingly refer as the "three LED's of death". That dimmer would be under warranty. What load are you running on the dimmer? I saw that most with a particular brand (Sebco) of MLV drivers for LED. Sebco makes a good driver, I just use the RRD-10ND-xx when I see it.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Ah ha. I have had a similar experience for a couple of years (now probably out of warranty). The 6D powers two 60W incandescents and is controlled by a Lutron occupancy sensor. In my case I get the 3-LED issue and then after pulling the FASS, it seems to work properly for quite a few months before reverting to this problem. Can I do something about this?

schalliol- try calling customer service. Occasionally Lutron has been known to take care of issues like this even though they are technically out of warranty. It doesn't hurt to ask. I've never encountered the three LED's of death on anything but the 6NA. Check that somehting isn't accidentally back-fed onto the switch leg. The three LEDs is a over-voltage/over-amperage signal in most cases. Dimmer locks "on" at around 65-80% as a safety feature, never left in the dark when the dimmer fails.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Ahh. I thought I put a 6D into that single pole box, but apparently I put in a new 6NA a few months ago. Right you were about the three lights. I'll contact Lutron. Thanks!

Tech support says this indicates the 6NA incorrectly picked the wrong phase. I haven't done it yet, but I was told to set the unit to forward phase manually, and that should fix it. These are dimmable CFLs in a work room in my case (they're the only CFLs in the house with everything else as LCDs).

From my experience its best to not have the 6NA on "Auto" this may just be me but I think we get some less than consistent performance from the 6NA when left on "Auto" phase detect. If applicable I recommend the 10ND where it fits as well the load....