Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Glow/Flicker from recessed LED fixtures (switched off) controlled by DVCL-153P

Glow/Flicker from recessed LED fixtures (switched off) controlled by DVCL-153P

I have 4 of the LED recessed fixtures below (link at bottom) controlled by a Diva dimmer switch model DVCL-153P. The dimmer switch is single pole application, shares a 2 gang box with a single pole toggle switch that controls a ceiling fan w/ light kit. Was originally a one gang box with switch for ceiling fan only, but I bumped it out to a 2 gang when I installed the LED fixtures...and I added the dimmer switch, I stole power from the ceiling fan switch (pigtailed w/ switch and Romex). Have had this setup for about a year, and the LEDs glow a little at night (while switched off / when we're sleeping), but only do so when the ceiling fan is switched on. Would installing a different dimmer that requires a neutral wire possibly resolve this problem? I do have neutral wires present (tied off) in the box.Fixtures (they are dimmable):https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...0-lumens/3774/

How is the neutral configured? The neutral for the fan and the lights must be separate from the switch box on. It sounds weird because they are connected in the switch box. The DVCL is a mechanical dimmer so I don't believe a neutral device would help.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Neutral separate?

Randy,

I don't totally follow. All neutrals are tied off together (one wire nut) in the wall/2 gang box. I assume, but am not certain, that they are in no way connected in the Fan's ceiling box...nor in the fixture boxes.

As an aside, the LED fixtures recently started blinking on/off in unison (they are Daisy chained) under same scenario - fixtures switched off but fan on.

Thanks
    John

Sometimes the electricians run a 14-3 to the ceiling fan. It has 2 switch-legs, a neutral, and a ground. This means the neutral is shared between 2 loads (fan and lights). This works fine for incandescent lighting. Because the neutral from the fan and lights are directly connected, it can cause the glowing effect you describe. It seems weird because if you had separate neutrals they would both be tied together in the switch box. However, electricity wants to get back to earth. Through the magic of electricity, it knows which wire goes to earth and which is a dead-end. Having muddied the waters even more with that explanation... If you follow your link and click on specifications, there is a note that says "For best dimming results, use an electronic low-voltage (ELV) LED dimmer." The DVCL is not an ELV dimmer. You need a DVELV-300P (303P for 3-way) or, preferably, a DVRP-253P.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Greatly appreciated Randy. Why is the DVRP-253P preferable over the DVELV-300P ?There are 3 romex into my wall box, and if I recall all 3 are 14-2. One romex I assume is hot into the box from elsewhere, the 2nd would be from fan switch up the fan box, and 3rd is for my dimmer switch out to the led fixtures. So without dropping the fan to look at fan box Im fairly certain there is only one neutral for the fan and fan light. If I understand your point....doesnt really matter in my scenario if its 14-3 or 14-2 they used - it's the fact that there is only one neutral for the fan & fan light shared (2 loads) that presents the problem here right? If it's a rabbit hole we're going down I get it, just helps to get a better understanding.

The RP is an updated version of the ELV and is a bit less expensive. It was designed with LEDs in mind. LEDs didn't exist when the ELV was designed (1980s??). Good news on the neutral! 14-3 would have a red wire. I think you would remember that. Sometimes ballast (fluorescent) and driver (LED) loads can get feedback on the neutral. This makes them glow a bit when off. Usually just enough to disturb your sleep. It appears that the fan is dumping electrical noise on the neutral which is affecting the LEDs. If you pull the gap switch on the existing dimmer and the lights go completely off (with the fan on), a neutral dimmer might help. My thought before was that you are sharing the neutral but per your last post, that is not the case.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Got it.
    Any idea where the gap switch is on the Diva models? I have faceplate off and can only see dimmer slider and low end adjustment. (Looked at spec sheets / installation instructions and don't see it called out). I do see a small tab under the center underside of switch, but doesn't protrude.