Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD-5ANS + Mechanical not working completely (regardless of wire config)

Post PD-5ANS + Mechanical not working completely (regardless of wire config)

Hello, the online instructions show the Caseta switch installed at the location going to the load (lights) with the mechanical on the side connected to the hot source. In my case, I am installing the Caseta on the hot source side, with the mechanical on the load side (as the instructions say I can do...but don't tell me how to do it). I have tried so many different combinations of wiring (starting with the recommended method...which doesn't work at all), then reversing the roles (which partially works), then my own understanding of how it should work and can get the Caseta to turn on/off and with the Caseta on can get the mechanical to work...but once I turn the caseta to off, the mechanical no longer works as it only flashes the lights in the on position. And if the mechanical is in the ON position, the Caseta stops operating the lights. HOW?!My config is as follows...Power Source Side: PD-5ANS-Caseta Black -> Source hot-Caseta White -> Neutral-Caseta Red -> Red Traveler-Caseta Blue -> White TravelerLoad Side: Leviton Mechanical-Mechanical Common -> Load (lights)-Mechanical Traveler (bottom opposite Common) -> Red Traveler-Mechanical Traveler (top same side as Common) -> White Traveler *reversing the order Traveler posts only changes the malfunction from the on position to the off on the mechanical side*In my case, can someone tell me the right wiring configuration with the Caseta on the hot source side to let this work with a mechanical switch connected to lights?4 hours of working on this and I am now beyond frustrated

If you had a white wire attached to the mechanical switches you have what is called a dead-end 3-way. Make sure you don't mistake the neutral for the white traveler. Page 2 (50) of the wiring diagram below shows the Caseta at the power end. Don't forget the jumper between the switch leg and the common screw of the mechanical switch. Basically you are using the mechanical switch as a contact closure. When it adds or removes power from the blue wire of the Caseta, the switch toggles on/off. http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...93_Page_34.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hi RandyC,The traveler cable has Red, White and Black wires from the source to the load side. The black is actually carrying source power to the other side (for use with additional switches/loads), we we are tapping that for the black input on the Caseta. The Red and White are simply for use as travelers between the 3-way switch.So if I am to understand your diagram correctly, If the red is connected to the blue output, then I need to tie the white traveler to the common load line (disconnecting it from the mechanical switch). I thought I did this initially, but will do it again to be doubly sure I didn't miss anything.Thank you SO much for the updated diagram that helps me visualize.Jason

WOO HOO!!! Thank you so much RandyC! That did the trick!

Glad it worked out! There are almost as many wiring methods as there are electricians. It can be frustrating trying to figure out what method they used.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron + Leviton mechanical switch help

Hello JasonS28 or RandyC,So I currently have two Leviton switches for a 3-way connector, but I wanted to switch out my one of my Leviton switch on the master box with a Lutron Caseta. So the setup I have in mind is similar to JasonS28 where the Caseta is at the power end. I was able to setup the swap the switch out on the master box easily, but I am having trouble making the switch work with the Leviton mechanical switch at the load box.Please keep in mind, the original setup with two Leviton switches had the black wire at the load box capped off and disconnected from the switch. The load box only have the following traveler wires: - 1 Red - 1 White - 1 Black MASTER BOX Lutron switch(PD-5ANS): RED => BLACK WHITE => WHITE BLACK => BLACK BLUE => RED LOAD BOX Leviton mechanical switch RED => YD/RD terminal WHITE => WH terminal BLACK => This wire was capped off and disconnected from switch. JUMPER => Based on Randy recommendation, the switch leg and the common screw of the mechanical switch. In my case, the WH & BLK terminal.With this setup, I was able to turn on the light at the master box, but when trying to turn off the light at the load box, the light will turn off and then turn back on immediately. So I was wondering if you can help me identify the problem I am experiencing as I was trying to follow the solution Randy provided to Jason, but unfortunately, it is not working. Thanks,Nick

Lutron + Leviton mechanical switch help - Format text

Hello JasonS28 or RandyC,

I formatted the message above in order for other users to read it better.

So I currently have two Leviton switches for a 3-way connector, but I wanted to switch out my one of my Leviton switch on the master box with a Lutron Caseta. So the setup I have in mind is similar to JasonS28 where the Caseta is at the power end. I was able to setup the swap the switch out on the master box easily, but I am having trouble making the switch work with the Leviton mechanical switch at the load box.Please keep in mind, the original setup with two Leviton switches had the black wire at the load box capped off and disconnected from the switch.

The load box only have the following traveler wires:
    • 1 Red
    • 1 White
    • 1 Black

Quote Quote
    MASTER BOX Lutron switch(PD-5ANS):
    RED => BLACK
    WHITE => WHITE
    BLACK => BLACK
    BLUE => RED
    Quote Quote
    LOAD BOX Leviton mechanical switch
    RED => YD/RD terminal
    WHITE => WH terminal
    BLACK => This wire was capped off and disconnected from switch.
    JUMPER => Based on Randy recommendation, the switch leg and the common screw of the mechanical switch. In my case, the WH & BLK terminal.With this setup, I was able to turn on the light at the master box, but when trying to turn off the light at the load box, the light will turn off and then turn back on immediately.
    So I was wondering if you can help me identify the problem I am experiencing as I was trying to follow the solution Randy provided to Jason, but unfortunately, it is not working. Thanks,Nick

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi delight916,The issue could be that the Leviton switch you're using adjacent to the Lutron PD-5ANS is not a true "mechanical" switch and therefore preventing the Caseta switch from passing power to the lighting load. The best step is to remove the Leviton switch and wire the PD-5ANS up as a single pole -> if it works you would want to instead look to a true mechanical switch for the adjacent wallbox or instead a Lutron PICO remote control mounted to the wallbox and paired directly to the PD-5ANS via RF signal. Please feel free to give us a call a Lutron Tech Support @ 1-888-Lutron1 (588-7661) should you have any questionsHope this helps-JustinF.

Hi, My setup is hot wire is coming into the garage(black wire). There there is a red and black(travelers) going to the switch inside the house. On the switch there is a white wire along with the black and red wire. The white wire seems to be going to the lights outside. I have tried every configuration and can only get the lights outside to keep flashing on and off with the 3 way casetta wireless switch. Any help would be great. I am use the pd-5ans. Thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    Have you installed the jumper wire on the second mechanical switch? When using pd-5ans, you need to re-wire the second switch. Also neutrals must be connected to the Caseta switch. Here is a link to the diagram: https://webapiaw1proddat01st01.blob....93_Page_34.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast